Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Slugs

Old 11-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Spike

Default Slugs

I have never hunted deer with a shotgun or ever used slugs so I need some info. But now I am going to deer hunt a place that only allows shotguns so I need help. I have a Pardner Single Shot 12 gauge and the barrell says 3". Would this gun be worth trying to use? If so, Can you guys give me some info on what I would need to get to use this gun? Or would it be better if I just spent about $150 and got a Mossberg Maverick 88?
Old 11-17-2012, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

you can try it, if you do use Remington Rifle Slugs or something like it since it's a smoothbore. I love hunting with the shotgun. I love the rifled/cantilever barrel, if you can swing it, Dicks Sporting Goods has a great deal on a Mossberg 500 combo for $300 your choice of 12ga or 20ga, comes with 2 barrels: one is a rifled/cantilever (use sabot type slugs only) this will give much better accuracy then a smoothbore barrel and regular rifle slugs, the other barrel is 26" with choke tubes, use it for small game, turkey, etc, it also comes with a scope but to me this scope is useless

http://dickssportinggoods.shoplocal....d%3dDSG-121111
Old 11-29-2012, 10:49 AM
Spike

You can shoot a 3" Rifled slug from that gun. I myself would maybe go out and buy a separate (different) gun for deer hunting only. I've got two benelli shotguns (M1 Super 90 and a Super Nova). Both are smooth bore with a IC choke and Winchester Super X Rifled Slugs. Havent have a problem and they shoot accurate.

Try a buch of different ammo, chokes etc. and you'll find the sweet spot for that gun.

DC
Old 12-10-2012, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

What are you looking to do? This is key...

If you're looking to kill deer, you can do that with just about any gun. If you're looking to put a scope on it and shoot at some longer distance, I would push you towards a rifled barrel slug gun. If you're looking at 50-75 yard shots, open sight... you'll be fine with a smoothbore.

I'm the guy that wants to shoot his shotgun out at further distances... so obviously I pay a bit more for the "nicer" guns, scopes & ammo.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:12 AM
Typical Buck

best shooting slug gun i have ever seen for any amount of money is the H&R ultra slug! Around $250.00.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:48 PM
Spike

Legolas, my question would be are you going to be hunting this place that allows shotguns only once or twice, and then go back to a rifle area, or a lot?
If you'll just be doing this once or twice, I'd try your single shot 12 gauge with Federal Tru-Ball slugs, they shoot very well in most smoothbore shotguns. If your gunsmith can put a little white bead halfway down your barrel, you'll find when you line up the centre bead and the bead near the muzzle, your accuracy on longer shots will be much better!
If you're going to be hunting deer a lot with a shotgun, I'd get a pump action 12 gauge that you can get a rifled barrel for with a cantilever scope mount. With a scoped, rifled barrel rig shooting sabots, you're good out past 150 yards. The other smoothbore barrel you can use for birds, and it would still be a good idea to have a white centre bead mounted on it...makes long shots a breeze.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:33 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SingleShotNeeded
If your gunsmith can put a little white bead halfway down your barrel, you'll find when you line up the centre bead and the bead near the muzzle, your accuracy on longer shots will be much better!
do you think the middle bead helps that much? i have two smoothbores i shoot slugs out at about 75 yards and i have no difference in accuracy, one with the middle bead, the other without. I always found it annoying.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:40 AM
Spike

Could always buy a muzzleloader to take with you... get to hunt shotgun-only areas with it and possibly extend your season where you currently hunt... just a thought. Dick's has the T/C Impact for $230 and Cabelas had it on sale also.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:12 AM
Fork Horn

I recently purchased a brand new Savage 212 bolt action shotgun, fully rifled with a Nikon 3-9x scope on it from Dick's for $499. That shoots rem Accu Tip 12 gauge slugs within 1" groups at 100 yrds out of the box.

My old Remington 870 smoothbore shot Federal Slugger (non-sabot) slugs just as well believe it or not for a smoothbore with even a full or modied choke! That gun drove TACKS for a smoothbore!
Old 12-15-2012, 05:54 AM
Typical Buck

under 50 yards that gun be fine....theres better but it'll do what you want to do..if it feels right/ fits you, and you practice you'll be deadly, after 50 yards you may want a gun with better sights, not just a bead.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.