Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Weatherby Vanguard S2 vs. Tikka T3 >

Weatherby Vanguard S2 vs. Tikka T3

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Weatherby Vanguard S2 vs. Tikka T3

Old 11-13-2012, 06:40 PM
Spike

Default Weatherby Vanguard S2 vs. Tikka T3

hey guys im 19 years old and looking for a good rifle to last me a while that is affordable and accurate.

I think ive got it down to the Weatherby Vanguard S2 or the Tikka T3 what do yall think?

Also what caliber thinking about 30-06?

Thanks
Old 11-14-2012, 04:43 AM
Typical Buck

either one is decent. shoulder them both and see what fits you better. Only you can tell. 30.06 is another fine choice although it does kick a little.

i like the tikka a tad better because the one i shouldered at the store a few months ago was lighter than the Weatherby.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:27 AM
Spike

I'd go for the Weatherby. Good choice in the .30-06.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Feel and fit definately have alot to do with the desicion on a purchase. If all is equal,i'd choose the Weatherby hands down. Why? IMO the stock seems better,no plastic bolt shrowd on the Weatherby no plastic clip on the weatherby,monte carlo stock on the weatherby.To me the Weatherby is just a better gun than the Tikka
Old 11-14-2012, 05:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sako A7...
Old 11-14-2012, 08:52 PM
Typical Buck

My Weatherby Vanguard in .300 Weatherby Magnum shoots 0.25 inch groups at 100 yards. I do not think any other rifle, even custom made ones, can come close to that.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:46 AM
Fork Horn

Weatherby Vangaurds are made in J a p a n by Howa. Not knocking Howa as they are decent guns but Tikka is made by Sako. The action on the Tikka's are butter smooth. The Tikka T3 lite does have a cheaper stock but the Hunter model has a nice wood stock.
As for caliber the .30-06 is pretty versatile and widely available. .308 would be another one which is close to performance as 30-06 and availability.

For some reason I can't type ***an on here without it being censored.

Last edited by Palladin8; 11-15-2012 at 02:49 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Had a Tikka and did not care for it but it was accurate. Of the two you mentioned I think the Howa is a stronger, more robust rifle.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default Choices

I own both so I feel I have some knowledge to share. The Vanguard as already stated is made by Howa of ***an to Weatherby specifications. The Vanguard will be heavier than the T3. The actions are a bit different if that matters to you. Both rifles come with an accuracy guarantee. The Tikka does have more plastic components than the Vanguard but with reasonable care both rifles will last you a lifetime.

The main criteria for purchasing the rifle is to handle each and see how they naturally feel to you. I can say hands down the Tikka just fits me better than the Vanguard. One thing though is if you're new to rifles the light weight of the Tikka allows it to recoil stoutly when firing 180 gr. loads with the 30-06. The Vanguard has less felt recoil as rifle weight will help lessen the blow. This is something you might think about. Both are good rifles and worth buying. Choose the one that fits the best and you will do just fine!
Old 11-15-2012, 02:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

I honestly can give no comment on the Vangard other then the reputation of the Weatherby name. AS for the Tikka I can tell you that you probably won't find a slicker action then the T3's unless you upgrade to a Sako (same family). As for them having more 'plastic' components - not true. The magazine is a polymer that is much stronger than a sheetmetal magazine. You will also find that the trigger on the Tikka is superb. It will break cleanly with no creep or overtravel. Probably one of the better production rifle triggers out there.
The T3 as previously mentioned is lighter and will give you more felt recoil. But that will only be noticed on the bench and not during huntng. But the lighter weight will be a pleasure to carry.
The old 30-06 is tough to beat as a one rifleman's chambering. There are countless other cartridges that are better suited to specific tasks but the old '06 is extremely versitile.
But the best advice to your choice of rifles is, as stated in an earlier post, to handle them both and see which one feels better to you. If it feels good to you - you will shoot it better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.