Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Marlin 336-1895?? >

Marlin 336-1895??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Marlin 336-1895??

Old 11-10-2012, 06:21 PM
Spike

Default Marlin 336-1895??

Does anyone own a marlin 336 or 1895? i have been hearing some bad things about these guns now that remington is making them. Any info? Looking to buy one but i would like to see what people are saying about there's. Thank you for your time
Old 11-10-2012, 07:43 PM
Fork Horn

I have a 336 30/30 that my dad gave me for my 17th bday/xmas, thats 20yrs old now. Other then the setscrew for the loading gate that comes loose sometimes, its like a timex. I also have an 1895, late manufacture, but made at Marlin, not remington. It had the problem that a few others have had with later ones, the extractor is too tight, and did not feed reliably. A tweak with a screwdriver, and it was fixed. I'm not a die hard remington fan, so consider me biased, when I say, it may be justified to be leery of a remington made Marlin. On the flip side, Winchester went thru something similar. FN, who has owned them for a few years now, closed the old plant in 2006(or about). They moved production to the FN plant in south carolina. Alot of people were talking at how they wont be the same, lesser quality etc. One need only ask around, or fondle one of the new production guns to know, they are some of the finest weapons winchester has had made on these shores. That said, the new marlins may be as good or better then the originals, but I can't say first hand.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:55 PM
Spike

I have a 336 30/30. Made in 2002 by marlin. Its a great gun. Tons of fun to shoot.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:37 PM
Typical Buck

Remingtons parent company (Cerebrus, same folks that owned Chrysler) bought Marlin Arms in 2009. As is usual, the internet has overhyped the problems BUT there HAS been problems!

The beancounters made the Einstein decisions to start jacking with the aged & experienced gun builders at Marlin. Eventually the old plant in Connecticut was shuttered and I think production was moved to an existing Rem plant in western KY. Evidently that didnt work out as that plug was then pulled.

I think they are now producing Marlins somewhere in the Carolinas?I bought two brand new 1895 45-70s this year. One for my 17yr old, his the limited edition 1895STBL and for myself an 1895G. Both shoot great & we look forward to using them next Saturday a TNs gun season opens. (I also have a 1968 vintage 336RC 35Rem given to me many years ago by grandfather, obviously its a great gun.)

I looked over the 1895s I bought (bought at seperate times from different dealers) I DID notice a few flaws on other guns in the racks. One 1895gbl had sights that were visibly off center. Another, 1895G had fingerpoints in the original stain on the stocks! The fit & finish on most guns were ok, notice I said "most". The STBL of my sons was flawless & my Guidegun is fine & actually has a very nice rear stock.

It is my understanding that the first "Remlins" were still stamped "JM" which can be misleading from the original JM stamped from Marlin. I read of several incidences of the JM stamp actually being poor, sloppy & half a... I DID actually see a rifle or two stamped as such in my searches. The rest of the Remlins are stamped "REP", as are my two 1895s. I also seem to remember something about serial#s that started with JM, some with MR (as is my sons STBL) & yet others beginning with a number instead of a letter (my Ggun is such).

Hope I didnt confuse you, just give any new Remlin a going over before signing the paperwork. But I DO hate ANY sort of questions or controversy with a beloved gun maker like Marlin... A sign of the times I reckon!
HL