Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
what do you consider acceptable for deer rifle accuracy? >

what do you consider acceptable for deer rifle accuracy?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

what do you consider acceptable for deer rifle accuracy?

Old 11-13-2012, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where I hunt, a long shot is 200 yards. Most shots are taken in the 50 - 150 yard range. Given that, I am fine with 2" groups at 100 yards. I prefer finding a load that shoots more like 1.5" or less, but for hunting purposes 2" will do...
Old 11-15-2012, 02:14 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Mr. Slim
i like all my deer rifles to shoot 1" or less at 100 yards.
I agree with this too.

You also need to remember though that a cold barrel shoots differently than a warm one. And the difference in that can be as high as another 2 moa.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

"...........so always hunt with a fouled barrel
3 shots." Ridge

And there you have it !
Old 11-16-2012, 12:38 PM
Fork Horn

hmmmm to answer the question I want them to shoot better than i can..... Honestly I expect with todays guns and ammo to be under an inch at a hundred yds.If they cant do it ... then i send them down the road.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:18 PM
Fork Horn

Seeing I don't use a sled when determining groups. I'm good with a 2" @ 100 yard group. I've got rifles that shoot better than that, happens that 2 of them are the ones I usually take to the field. Both those shoot 1 to 1 and a hair at 100
Old 11-17-2012, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think the better question would be, if your rifle was as accurate as Ridge Runner's 6.5 Gibbs, what is the maximum distance that you would be able to consistantly hit a deer in a hunting situation? Try shooting at 300 yards from a sitting position, or maybe standing up while grabbing a tree with your forward hand. I doff my hat to people like Ridge Runner who have the ability to shoot at extremely long range.

I'll always remember the longest shot I ever took at a buck, it was 300 paces across a field. I had to shoot sitting because the alfalfa was too high to shoot prone. It seemed like every time my heart would beat, the crosshairs left the deer. I don't worry too much about group size any more, most rifles will give acceptable accuracy for deer hunting. I learned back then that shooting distance is limited mostly by my abilities, not my rifle.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Looks like a lot

of Dan'l Boone's out there in the woods these days.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:47 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
I doubt if with me driving, my win. 71 replica will shoot 2" at 100, however I kill alot of game with it. a couple of my rifles must shoot sub. .25 moa to do what I ask them to do.
RR
Which Win 71 replica do you have? I have one of the Browning's from the late 80's...moose killin beast it is! Love that rifle!
Old 11-26-2012, 03:27 PM
Dominant Buck

mine is also a browning, carbine model, kills like the mythical "Hammer of Thor"
a good day in the woods

RR
Nice.......
Old 11-27-2012, 02:18 PM
Typical Buck

mine is also a browning, carbine model, kills like the mythical "Hammer of Thor"
a good day in the woods

RR
Very nice...mine too is the carbine...I absolutely love it for my Alaska moose hunts!