Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Scope mounting >

Scope mounting

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Scope mounting

Old 01-30-2002, 09:54 AM
Spike

Default Scope mounting

Since I recently started researching proper rifle scope mounting, I'm a little amazed at what goes into properly mounting a scope. It's not a simple attach the bases, attached the rings. attach the scope, bore sight, and take to the range. I understand that the base and rings should be properly aligned and the rings lapped. How many of you goes to all this trouble to properly mount your scopes and are special tools or measuring instruments required? Does anyone know a reputable gunsmith in NC or SC that will properly mount a scope? Thanks.
Old 01-30-2002, 10:32 AM

Default RE: Scope mounting

Brownells sells a kit that contains items for lapping rings. i think midway sells one to. i have been thinking about buying one . i dont do it now but i understand it can help insure good contact with scope and rings. i knew a guy that did go to all this trouble , he passed away not long ago ,and his widow sold some of his guns. i removed some of the scopes (most were luepold v III ) and you couldnt even tell they had been mounted. so i am assuming it works.
Old 01-30-2002, 09:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use a machined 1" bar to align the rings and lap if necessary.The rings with windage screws such as leupold,burris and redfield are adjusted quite easily while the weaver type are much more difficult without windage screws.
Old 01-31-2002, 04:03 AM

C120 they have someone at Basspro shop at Concord mills that mounts scope's for people.I hope these help's you.You can also got to the yellow pages online to find some gunsmith's in your area.
Old 01-31-2002, 07:32 AM

C120,
The Burris Signature rings elimate the need to lap the rings. They use a plastic insert that aligns the scope in the rings.

Rem. 222
Old 01-31-2002, 07:41 AM
Spike

Thanks for the information folks. I've always mounted my own scopes without realizing there could be alignment problems that would prevent accurate sighting-in. I did see where Outdoor World at Concord offered scope mounting and I called to ask if the "lapped" the rings. I was talking to one of the guys that does the mounting and his response was "What's lapping?". I took that as a NO. I'm still looking and I'll try the on-line yellow-pages. Thanls NCBuck and the others.