Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Suggestions on first 30-06? >

Suggestions on first 30-06?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Suggestions on first 30-06?

Old 10-25-2012, 11:04 AM
Spike

Default Suggestions on first 30-06?

So I have picked up the hunting fever this year as I went for the 1st time. I'd like to go deer and elk hunting predominantly, maybe black bear. Anyways I am pretty set on the 30-06 because of the manufacturer's bullet diversity and I would like to have something large enough to take an elk but not too big as to only get 2 burgers out of a deer...

For the last few months I have been dead set on the Rem. model 700 in wood stock and refused to buy a gun in syn. But after this last hunting trip I used a buddies syn. stock .243 and it grew on me. Now the syn. stock rem 700 can be had for half the price of the wood so I am no longer opposed to the syn stocks.

I would prefer to buy used with a nice scope like a Leupold or Nikon if I have the chance, but it is hard to find a good deal at the gun shows around hunting season. With this in mind what are some good 30-06's (used of course) that I should have my eyes on when I go to the gun shows? For a used gun my high end is set at $500, and that is with a very nice scope...

On a side note, what are some goof rifles (new) I should keep my eyes peeled for? I hear everyone raging about the savage 111's and how good they are for the price. However my buddy just got a rem 700 in syn for $420 out the door at a sports store. Price range is about the same here as well.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:48 AM
Spike

I can give you my views on it and I'm sure you will get several. I have owned several 700's and I have always ended up selling them. Now I have a Tikka and I love it,but my favorite gun is my Savage. You can't find a gun that shoots better out of the box.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:40 PM
Fork Horn

Winchester, Browning, Ruger, etc all make good rifles. Some will shoot better then others, it all depends on how good they made that barrel, how good the trigger is, and how good you are. I have a pair of winchester M70s that would dispell the internet legend that anything but an m700 will not shoot. We have a marlin XL7 with wood, inexpensive gun, and built similar to a savage. If I were to put good glass on it, I think it would be a shooter. Dont get fooled about too big of gun and no meat left to eat. Using the wrong bullet design for your use, and high velocity bullets, will lead to loss of meat. Dont get me wrong though, there is nothing wrong at all with an '06. It works.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:55 PM
Spike

I'd like to look more into the savage...is it the 111 models or axis that are solid (and cheap)? What should I expect to pay for a used savage wo/scope?

Last edited by 700guy; 10-25-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check out the top site for new, and the other 2 underneath for used options. Personally, I'd stick with something in the Savage other than the Axis. A Savage 110 or a 11 is the cheapest way to go, but there will be other variants. Don't ignore the Ruger American or the Marlin Xls series. Journeyman guns at a real competitive price. If going used though you just might snag a Remington or a Winchester in your price range if you don't mind a nick or scratch or two (without glass). Cosmetics are overrated, but a gun with a bunch of surface damage has probably not been cared for. Pay attention to the functioning of the bolt, the magazine and the condition of the bore/barrel.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/a...s=savage+30-06

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx...s=savage+30-06

http://www.gunsamerica.com/Search.htm?T=savage+30-06

Last edited by 8mm/06; 10-26-2012 at 02:38 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:23 PM
Spike

My daughter shoots a Weatherby Vangard in '06. I handload and it's a shooter. The vangard is resonably priced too. Nice rifle.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:40 PM
Fork Horn

Tikka T3 with a Burris fullfield II for $620.00 but I would get the 270 and skip the 30-06. A 270 is better IMO. I had a 30-06 and wasn't fun to shoot cuz of the recoil. You would like the 270. Check it out.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:06 PM
Spike

Already have a .270....don't mean to be rude but I don't want this to turn into a caliber thread. Have seen to many veer off topic with that. I am STRICTLY talking 30-06 nothing else.

Thank You though...

This is not a hang on your wall gun I want. This is a down in the trenches sort of speak type of gun that I can bang up and not worry about scratching when out on my hunts. Hence the cheap price.

Last edited by 700guy; 10-25-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:49 PM
Spike

You can get the Savage 111 package at Dicks WITH the Nikon scope for under 500 bucks.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:13 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 700guy
Already have a .270....don't mean to be rude but I don't want this to turn into a caliber thread. Have seen to many veer off topic with that. I am STRICTLY talking 30-06 nothing else.

Thank You though...

This is not a hang on your wall gun I want. This is a down in the trenches sort of speak type of gun that I can bang up and not worry about scratching when out on my hunts. Hence the cheap price.
I hear ya. The price I posted was for an 06 also. The Tikka T3 lite should definitely be a consideration. It's a lot lighter than the savage. And a better/Smoother Bolt too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.