Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Anyone using an 80's Model 94 30-30? >

Anyone using an 80's Model 94 30-30?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Anyone using an 80's Model 94 30-30?

Old 10-03-2012, 07:28 PM
Spike

Default Anyone using an 80's Model 94 30-30?

I bought a 1980's Model 94 30-30 months ago and in preparation for the coming deer season, can't wait to sight in the new scope (tasco fixed 4x optic, nothing special).
To the point here, I was wondering if there is anyone using one of these here on the forums. I'm not diggin' the safety on these...not sure when they started using them but it's the type of safety that is automatically engaged at "rest" and disengaged by squeezing the lever against it. It may just be my gun, but it don't seem tight and well...correct. The lever feels loose and rattles ever so slightly when handling the firearm, just enough to notice, so nothing major. I just don't know if this is common and due to the safety mechanism.
Also, on a side note...what is your thoughts on ranges to sight in the sights vs the 4x scope?
Old 10-04-2012, 03:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I may be wrong, but I think the lever is supposed to stay tight against the safety when you close the action. I don't think you should have to hold the lever fully closed to fire the gun.

For open sights I'd zero at either 75 or 100, because I wouldn't be shooting much more than that (I'd put a peepsight on it too). For a scope, I'd sight in to be around 2" high at 100.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have one, and your description is normal for this rifle. The lever rattles. The rifle will not fire unless you depress the safety button with the lever, which happens automatically when you take a normal grip on the rifle.

This is a short range rifle. The big front sight covers a lot of deer at 100 yards, but it is very fast to use. I am not a fan of scoping the top eject 94, but if I did it would be sighted to be on target at no more than 100 yards.

I use mine during heavy snows, where shots are short - and scopes are mostly useless. Mine has taken a few deer, but probably never been fired at one at more than 75 - 80 yards.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:33 AM
Fork Horn

A friend has one in excellent shape and his is the same way you describe. You have to hold the lever against the safety button. They are nice rifles.

For a 30-30 with a 4x scope I'd sight it in at the distance you plan to be able to get off the most shots. To me that scope would be perfect for 50-100 yard shots. Is the Tasco and older ***anese one or a newer China production one?
Old 10-04-2012, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 1960 '94 30-30 with a Lyman peep sight. It works well out to appx. 100 yards. The lever is loose on mine as well as my son's 70's edition. I use a 3006 with a scope for longer shots. The '94 does well what it was made to do. A handy, short range deer rifle.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:52 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by slowr1der
A friend has one in excellent shape and his is the same way you describe. You have to hold the lever against the safety button. They are nice rifles.

For a 30-30 with a 4x scope I'd sight it in at the distance you plan to be able to get off the most shots. To me that scope would be perfect for 50-100 yard shots. Is the Tasco and older ***anese one or a newer China production one?
Unsure of the age of the scope, but either way it's a very clear and sturdy scope.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:54 AM
Spike

Thanks a bunch guys, I know the rifle's not a long range weapon but was unsure as to what to do with both sights. I'll be taking her to the range soon and get everything in order..may post grouping pics as well :P
Old 10-04-2012, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a very old model 64, same working system and a 70s model 94. The lever has to push up on the trigger block on both guns to fire. In an actual shooting situation your grip of the lever and wrist of the stock will do this without you realizing it.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:43 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by skb2706
I have a very old model 64, same working system and a 70s model 94. The lever has to push up on the trigger block on both guns to fire. In an actual shooting situation your grip of the lever and wrist of the stock will do this without you realizing it.
Correct, the 94 and the Marlins all work this way. It, combined with the "halfcock" is all the safety a gunowner with half a braincell needs. But obviously after a few morons scattered their brains allover the woods and lawyers were hired, the push button safeties were added too most all lever guns during the 80s.

The "trigger stop" safety on the leverun works just like the grip safety on a 1911 pistol, they prevent the trigger mechanism from working properly until the gun is held properly. Hmmmm John Browning designed both the Win 94 and the 1911, maybe he DID know wth he was doing?
Old 10-04-2012, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default Winchester 30-30 safety

I have a 1960's vintage and it operates just as you describe.
When I bought this gun (used) it had a 4x scope, but I didn't like shooting this gun with a scope, especially in tight cover or the ranges that I bought this gun for. I bought a Lyman peep scope and it is definitely capable of getting on target up to 100 yards. Also with top ejection, the scope is offset to the left of centerline to the barrel in order to not interfer with the top ejection. When I'm really in "wooded" areas I think that a scope can be a hinderence.
These guns are truely deer takers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.