Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Revolver troubles? FTF? >

Revolver troubles? FTF?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Revolver troubles? FTF?

Old 08-23-2012, 07:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

After reading his dissertation, it sounds to me like he is one!!!
Old 08-23-2012, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm definitely no pro 'smith, I just tend to tinker more than the average joe. I've built a couple dozen AR's, 10/22's, and 1911's from ground up, and I'm the type of guy that's never satisfied by anything "factory". Drives my wife nuts that I spend the time and money getting parts and tools doing jobs myself, but that's the fun in it for me. If I didn't have the day job I do, I'd absolutely consider a career as a smith, but for now, I'm just an obsessive tinkerer.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just make dang sure your "tinkering" doesn't go boom when it's not supposed to!
Old 08-23-2012, 05:08 PM
Typical Buck

Smile

[quote=Nomercy448;3964034... I'm the type of guy that's never satisfied by anything "factory". [/quote]

What does your lawnmower look like????
Old 08-23-2012, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would bet it is in the timing. That's why it only happens in double action. Taurus is famous for that. I really want to buy a Taurus 9 shot 22 revolver but I never have because of that reason.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by country1
What does your lawnmower look like????
Since you asked...

My push mower is actually a new B&S engine on an older frame I had. The self-propelled frame had way too small of engine for the blade size AND the self propel. So I warranty'd the 1st engine, but when I burnt up the 2nd mower, I bought a new, bigger motor.

Our riding mower is a Kubota field mower. I added a hydraulic pump on the rear PTO so I could add a small 3ft bucket and/or a front brush deck.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:26 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Since you asked...

My push mower is actually a new B&S engine on an older frame I had. The self-propelled frame had way too small of engine for the blade size AND the self propel. So I warranty'd the 1st engine, but when I burnt up the 2nd mower, I bought a new, bigger motor.

Our riding mower is a Kubota field mower. I added a hydraulic pump on the rear PTO so I could add a small 3ft bucket and/or a front brush deck.
The B&S 190cc engine was a decent engine. We will have to wait to see how their new OHV engines do on their push mowers.

I believe Daihatsu use to make the v-twin for B&S. Maybe they still do.

Kubota makes some nice equipment.

Yanmar makes some nice, small diesel engines; but they are not inexpensive.

How hot does the hyd oil get? Years ago, most big 4WD farm tractors did not have PTO. When they started using the tractor hyd system to power external hyd pumps, several had problems with burning out the tractor hyd pumps or problems with the valves, o-rings, etc. Synthetic or synthetic blend hyd oils seemed to take care of the problem. Today, the hyd system on most farm tractors has a much larger oil capacity, so the hyd oil temps do not get as hot. Maybe the hyd oil temp is not a factor for your application.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by country1
How hot does the hyd oil get? Years ago, most big 4WD farm tractors did not have PTO. When they started using the tractor hyd system to power external hyd pumps, several had problems with burning out the tractor hyd pumps or problems with the valves, o-rings, etc. Synthetic or synthetic blend hyd oils seemed to take care of the problem. Today, the hyd system on most farm tractors has a much larger oil capacity, so the hyd oil temps do not get as hot. Maybe the hyd oil temp is not a factor for your application.
I don't use it often (skid steers and bigger tractors if I need a lot of bucket work), but needless to say, it does get hot with use, even with the ~2gal reservoir (old air bubble tank). It's not one of my finer works, but it works for the limited uses I have for it.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

UPDATE:

Received two new OEM hands from Taurus, one for an 85, one for an 83 (just in case the 85 part wouldn't fit an older 85).

Neither of them fit.

So, weld-job it is... Probably make some time on the day off Monday to get it built up how I need it.

I'm also kicking around with a machinist buddy of mine to see if we could CNC a new part, but it sure won't be as fast as a weld-job, but we may try it out anyway. He says it'll be the smallest part he's made so far, so it'll be fun to try out.