Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
New Illiniois Gun Law Question >

New Illiniois Gun Law Question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New Illiniois Gun Law Question

Old 08-01-2012, 02:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default New Illiniois Gun Law Question

I recognize that Illinois is not a gun friendly state and does not allow concealed carry nor recognize CHL's from other states. I am traveling from God's Country (Texas) to Illinois in a couple weeks, driving my pick up truck. Neither the glove box, nor the center console has a lock. Do I need to buy a separate locking box to store my Sig in while in Illinois? Or can I simply stash the Sig in the glove box and the ammo in the center console? What do I need to do in this backward nearly God-forsaken land??? Note that I'll be in a slightly more gun-friendly area of the state where they make such fine weapons as Les Baer, Springfield Armory, Armalite, Rock River, etc...
Old 08-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Fork Horn

I would call who ever you are going to see and have them check or you yourself call the police and ask. I do have the 2003 travelers guide of firearm laws. It says that weapons must be a securley cased in a storage area or trunk with ammo in a seperate location. Residents are required to have a firearms id card before owning and non residents may pass through without this card. good luck but I would call ahead and ask or jsut leave it at home.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

pretty certain it needs to be locked in its own case...

btw I believe it can only be in your car for transportation, technically can't leave it in your car and drive around 24/7/365, but how could they prove that...?
Old 08-02-2012, 06:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would not have both up in the passenger compartment like you mentioned. Even Michigan would consider that a violation if the gun was upfront like that, unless you had a valid CCW. Otherwise, they would considered it an illegally concealed handgun even if it wasn't loaded. When I go from Mi through IL every year on my way out to WY I have my rifles in cases behind my seat with the ammo for them in the back of the truck. My handgun is in a separate case in the back of the truck and the ammo is up front so that I meet MI requirements, as well as those of IL when I go through there.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:24 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ipscshooter
I recognize that Illinois is not a gun friendly state and does not allow concealed carry nor recognize CHL's from other states. I am traveling from God's Country (Texas) to Illinois in a couple weeks, driving my pick up truck. Neither the glove box, nor the center console has a lock. Do I need to buy a separate locking box to store my Sig in while in Illinois? Or can I simply stash the Sig in the glove box and the ammo in the center console? What do I need to do in this backward nearly God-forsaken land??? Note that I'll be in a slightly more gun-friendly area of the state where they make such fine weapons as Les Baer, Springfield Armory, Armalite, Rock River, etc...
Illinois is Gun friendly, only the law abiding have trouble owning or carrying. Lock gun in locking case and ammo somewhere else. Be extra careful, they would love to catch a law abiding citizen!

Last edited by mr.mc54; 08-03-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mr.mc54
Illinois is Gun friendly, only the law abiding have trouble owning or carrying. Lock gun in locking case and ammo somewhere else. Be extra careful, they would love to catch a law abiding citizen!
Thats no chit!!!!! Even as a 20 yr LEO, I still find myself looking at the laws and wondering how the communistic state of Chicago can keep coming up with such crack headed attempts of new laws that they do against the law abiding citizens of the state.
They want basically all weapons banned, if it were up to them, short of slingshots and those may be in their sights, I just havent heard that one yet. But you can bet your last bullet that those pompus fat do gooders up there all have their bodyguards and security armed up the wazzoo like Rambo to take on all those who oppose them and their crazy ideas to make Illinois better for its citizens. BS!!!!!!!!

Last edited by SecondChance; 09-28-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:51 PM
Spike

I travel from PA to Wyoming through Ilinios and Michigan to Wyoming to hunt every year. I keep my rifles in a case behind my seat on the floor with my range bag on sitting on it along with my suit case boots and other hunting gear. Case can be locked but have not in the past. If I am reading the above right I should not be carrying the amo in the cab with my rifels.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:51 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Tom 47
I travel from PA to Wyoming through Ilinios and Michigan to Wyoming to hunt every year. I keep my rifles in a case behind my seat on the floor with my range bag on sitting on it along with my suit case boots and other hunting gear. Case can be locked but have not in the past. If I am reading the above right I should not be carrying the amo in the cab with my rifels.

Correct...in MI (where I live) the ammo and weapon must be stored separately...but I do not believe either is required to be in a locked case...I carry rifles back and forth to camp every year in soft cases (unlocked) and have been checked before when stopped once by a fine young man in blue...and he checked everything thoroughly...ammo was in the cab and rifles in the back of the truck...neither in locked containers.

I believe IL is far more strict though (much like the communist state of CA).
Old 08-05-2012, 08:04 AM
Spike

" It says that weapons must be a securley cased in a storage area or trunk with ammo in a seperate location ". That is absolutely correct.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:45 PM
Spike

http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/...armLegally.pdf

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/1-154.pdf

Last edited by fooman; 08-05-2012 at 12:49 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.