Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

ruger m77

Old 07-31-2012, 08:12 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
I have a 1986 Ruger M77 in 7mm Magnum. It has the tang safety and a excellent smooth working bolt. One of the most accurate rifles I ever owned or shot for that matter. The trigger is excellent but I am guessing the new models are better equipped. It wears a Tasco World Class 3-9x40mm scope and the mounts that hold that scope. I have never adjusted the scope in 26 years. It is still dead on accurate with factory Remington ammo. I have no idea who made the mounts, I think at the time they came with the rifle as it had no sights. The scope at the time was a very good scope. But now, Tasco is not thought of in the same manner.
my dad has the same scope, gun, same ammo, haha. i think he got his early 80's though.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:16 AM
Typical Buck

I prefer a Ruger trigger to any other trigger on the market. Don't even know if I can explain it but once you put your finger on the trigger you have started to disengage the sear. No slack. A 3lb Ruger trigger has the felt pull of a 2.5 timney trigger. Maybe it's just me.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:54 AM
Spike

I have a 1st model Ruger 77 in .338 Win. magnum....bought it used earlier this year. Came with scope (Leupold Variex II) and rings (unsure of what kind). Haven't hunted with it yet, but I've taken it to the range several times and put quite a few rounds through it (both factory and handloads).....point of impact hasn't changed.
FWIW.........
Old 09-06-2012, 05:21 PM
Spike

I have an M77 all weather in 30-06. I was not happy until I started to reload. With any factory ammo the best group was the sized of a fist at 100 yards. Now with reloads I can hit a quarter three times at 100 yds. Nice rifle.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:36 PM
Spike

I have Remington bias issues due to my up-bringing but, my old man used to drag me along on his trap lines as a kid. Back in the mid 70s after selling his hides after a year of trapping (being the speed freak he was back then) he bought a M77 .220 Swift. This was the rifle I learned to shoot on, outlawed my first 5 or 6 deer with, shot my first 1 hole 5 shot group with, first hawk, first crow, first groundhog, etc....After 10 years of way to hot loads, that Swift would still shoot 1 hole 5 shot grps even after being tossed out the window, dropped, just plain ole wore out. The throat was so eroded our gunsmith refered to it as a .22 caliber shotgun it still shot like a freak. If Ruger still remotely builds them like they used to Id recommend a M77 to anyone.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have 3 M77's, one with the tang safety and two with the 3 position safety. IMO its hard to beat there mounts, rugged and dependable. It was said early to throw the mark II triggers away, I have not had any problems with mine, a local gunsmith has adjusted both of mine. They are set at 2lbs with no creep or travel, I love um.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:46 AM
Spike

I've got an '82 Ruger M77, lol, and it came originally with a Tasco scope too! Of course they're cheap junk scopes, and it now sports a Bushnell Elite 4200 4-12X40, but the rifle itself has been excellent. It shoots MOA, and is only beaten by my Husqvarna 30.06 that shoots .5 MOA. It's a tang safety, of course, and I had a gunsmith adjust it to about 2.5 lbs, smooth as silk.