Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
wife buying me a gun....need ideas >

wife buying me a gun....need ideas

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

wife buying me a gun....need ideas

Old 07-22-2012, 05:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default wife buying me a gun....need ideas

To commemorate the birth of our first child (son) my wife wants to buy me a gun. She knows im a big collector and Is cool with it.
So heres my problem, I don't know what I want. I think it needs to fit the situatuon a bit. Something that I won't ever shoot most likely (just like most of my guns) .
Ideas?
Old 07-23-2012, 04:54 AM
Fork Horn

Getting a kid? Get some home defense weapon. Chances are you won't ever shoot it, but it'll be there in case you need to.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get a 7mm-08,great shooting Rifle with less recoil a 6.5 Creedmore would be cool also or Go with a great Varmint/Predator Rifle in a .204 for Coyotes,Foxes and so on.I guess You guys in Illinois can't shot Bobcats? :0(

What other Caliber Rifles/Shotguns do You have already...that will give
Us an idea of what cool Calibers You might enjoy?
Old 07-23-2012, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cabelas 50th anniversary commemortive Winchester Model 70.
Cabelas turns 50 the same year your son was born......Congrats!!!!!
Old 07-23-2012, 01:12 PM
Fork Horn

Well with this last mass shooting, the assault weapon ban has been brought back up. With elected officials stating that it needs to be reinstalled. I'm seriously considering buying a AR-15. Before you can't buy one, or at least like they are now.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Something that I won't ever shoot most likely
If you are in to lever guns Henry has a program where you can order one of their guns and have it engraved. Something with your son's name, birthday and a saying that is sentimental/significant for you and your wife would be very nice.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:49 PM
Spike

Wow, your a lucky man. Subnet has a great idea!!! My father bought a Winchester 12 gauge pump shotgun when i was born, he engraved my enitials and the year 82' on the bottom of the pistol grip. Now the gun is nothing to write home about but i still use it with kids of my own,I sometimes like to sit back while in the woods and just stare at that engraving. Its funny my parents have a picture of me holding that gun when i was 2 yrs. old. There are many beautiful guns out there but i wouldnt trade mine for the world... Something to think about.. Good luck man.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:37 PM
Typical Buck

I have a few varment rifles in 22-250 and .243. I have a few .308s and a .300 bar. ar's I have several. The Henry idea Is good. I did one one those when I got married. Got a golden boy but never got it engraved yet. I guess I could do another one to match....
If it were 2011 I would get him a 1911 for the 100th anniversary. I just cant think what the 2012 gun of the year could be.
But then this gun is supposed to be for me and my my son so I dont know what angle to take.here. i was thinking of getting him a mossbergs 510 mini for future use. Getting it now would be cheaper then 5,6,7...whatever years from now but who knows what will be on the market then that may be better.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's an off the wall suggestion - see if you can find a Winchester Model 88 in VG-Ex condition. Any cartridge would be considered a collector gun, with the 358 WIn. and 284 Win. being the most sought after right now. The 308 Win. is the most common, and would also make a good hunting rifle for medium game.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:37 PM
Inactive

Beingn 2012, why not A Winchester Model 12. Maybe one in a 20 ga. That would be something you both could shoot and enjoy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.