HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Nikon Prostaff scopes question?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/367415-nikon-prostaff-scopes-question.html)

jwatts 07-10-2012 04:16 PM

Nikon Prostaff scopes question??

I am looking to get a Nikon prostaff 3-9x40 with the BDC for my new Browning BLR 300 WSM. does anyone have this scope? Any pros or cons? My rifle was $850 and the scope seems to be $180 Just wonderin if its the bottom line Nikon? Any info would be greatly appriciated, thank you for your time.

Colorado Luckydog 07-10-2012 05:01 PM

Not a bad scope for the money but your premium rifle deserves better. I'd save a little longer and put a nicer scope on it. At least a Buckmaster or a Monarch if you want to stay with the Nikon product.

cayugad 07-10-2012 06:56 PM

I use Nikon Pro Staff scopes on three muzzleloaders. Two of the rifles shoot between a 450 and a 500 grain conical bullets and lets just say recoil can get hairy. My Nikon Pro Staff scopes have never budged off dead on. I also have them mounted on Warne Quick Release rings and take them off and put them back on, still with no loss of accuracy.

Their clarity is excellent. The glass is amazing for the cost of the scope. The focus is fast and so is their light gathering ability. When I took my muzzleloader in to the gun shop to purchase and professionally mount a scope, I asked the owner what scope he recommended. He stood there smiling and said, I could sell you a big dollar scope and you'd like it. But the one I recommend is the Nikon Pro Staff. As he explained, they have a Nikon Warranty, Nikon Quality, Nikon Glass, and I sell a lot of them but they never come back. Not for repairs or for trade in. He then said, that tells me that once people get them, they hold on to them.

Also, I am not a big fan of a BDC. I have a couple of them on rifles. And they do work well. Another favorite scope is a Nikon Omega 3-9x40mm. Again, great eye relief, excellent glass, just an exceptional scope.

Another great scope is a Bushnell 3200 Elite. I have that on a muzzleloader and find it an exceptional scope. Now granted these are not Leupold high dollar scopes, or some of the other brands. But for the kind of hunting I do they work perfect and have never fogged up or let me down.

bugsNbows 07-11-2012 07:38 AM

Personally. I'm not a Prostaff lover. I'd say the Nikon Buckmaster, Bushy 3200, Sightron or the Vortex offerings are better.

BOWHUNTERCOP 07-11-2012 12:21 PM

I have one in 3-9x40 without the BDC, it's not on a gun yet...decent scope for the money......I would invest in a better scope, Leupold VX-2 or VX-3 line, or Zeiss Conquest

jwatts 07-11-2012 04:19 PM

thanks guys. Maybe the nikon monarch, buckmaster or Leupold vx-2 might be the way to go.

jdhaines32 07-11-2012 07:03 PM

I have had the Prostaff Realtree additon on my Inline muzzleloader for the last 3 years with no issues. I also have the newer 3x9x40 with the BDC for my Remington 700 .30-06 that I just got. I have no complaints with either for the price. They may not be the best scope available, but I do nto think you be going wrong with that is the scope you choose, but that is just my opinion.

polaris754 07-12-2012 02:50 PM

really dont think u can go wrong with a nikon.i have a pro staff buckmaster n a monarch hard to to tell some times which is better

emtrescue6 07-13-2012 09:44 AM

I have 2 ProStaff's (3-9x50)...one sitting in the box waiting to go on my 270 Win and one that has been on my 270 WSM Tikka for 2 seasons...I also have a Monarch on my Savage Model 10 (308). For the money they are very well built scopes, and IMO they are better than the Luppy's VX-2's (Luppy's arte overpriced for what they are anymore). I have never had one fail and they get "used", edge clarity beats the Luppy's and is equivalent to the Zeiss Conquest, overall clarity and quality is great. I have several varieties of glass (Bushy 3200's & 4200's, Older Luppy's, older Swift's) and the Nikon's are quickly becoming my favorite for quality and clarity, can't go wrong for the $$.