Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Velocity with BOSS >

Velocity with BOSS

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Velocity with BOSS

Old 08-27-2003, 07:12 AM

Default Velocity with BOSS

I hope that this is posted in the correct forum.
I own and adore a Browning Stainless A-Bolt in 7mm-08. It has a BOSS system that according to Browning reduces the barrel length by 2 inches. According to their website the overall barrel length is only 20" making it a 18 inch barrel. I measured it at 18.5" .
Without dragging out a chronograph, which I know I can do, is there a great reduction in muzzle velocity with this set-up? Most ballistics are calculated with a 24" barrrel but I have seen some for this rifle using 20" . Browning says there' s no reduction but I feel this may not be the case.
Simplified, what muzzle velocity reduction might I expect with this set-up?
I love this rifle, its a tack driver and does a superb job on whitetails here in NY where shots are close. The question ultimately is can I take this out West and shoot longer distances and have a resonable understanding of bullet trajectory?
Old 08-27-2003, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Velocity with BOSS

The only way to have a true undertstanding of bullet trajectory is to shoot your rifle at various distances. You can get a general idea from tables but there are too many variables with individual rifles to get a true picture.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:27 AM

With two less inches of barrel you are probably losing in the neighborhood of 30 to 40 fps per inch.

So your trajectory is not greatly affected. You need to chronograph your loads to get the actual velocity. Published velocities are rarely accurate and vary from rifle to rifle.

Published drop charts per the velocity are generally within an inch or two of what you will find if you actually go out and shoot at the ranges listed.

For western hunting if you sight in 3" high you should be about an inch low at 300 yards with that caliber.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shoot it over a chronograph....then you' ll know.....I' d take it to Wyoming in any regard...it' s a fine gun. The little bit you' ve lost is not going to be noticed by anyone......as a matter of fact occasionally velocity is increased by shortening the barrel believe it or not.
Old 09-01-2003, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn' t worry about it. The few FPS you lose won' t amount to much if any.You said you own and adore your Browning.You were happy with your A-Bolt until the question of barrel length w/ the BOSS came into the picture. Forget about it. Browning didn' t just throw it together.You can bet they did allot of research before releasing it.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 09-01-2003, 08:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

The only way to know your true trajectory is to shoot the gun at the ranges that you intend to hunt.
Old 09-01-2003, 06:17 PM

I certainly appreciate the responses to my original posting. The question was a general one, of course, but I enjoyed the input.
Old 09-02-2003, 01:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

The only velocity loss is that which could be attributed to shooting any 18.5" barrel, vs a longer one, as stated above, about 25 FPS per inch for a small case like the 7mm/08. Of course, a larger case would lose more. The BOSS would have no effect on the velocity loss at all. Maybe this is what Browning meant when they said " there' s no velocity loss" !!
Old 09-03-2003, 09:30 PM

My father bought a .30-06 with the BOSS system a couple years ago. It seemed like a good gun until he shot it and his eardrums almost burst. He had me shoot it to make sure it wasn' t just him, and after one shot I went deaf for a few minutes-all I could hear was a loud ringing in my ears. He sold the gun shortly after, becasue he wanted to keep what hearing he has left. My .30-06 sounds like a cannon compared to most, but it' s quiet compared to that gun!

Do any of you notice a major increase in noise with the BOSS system? We figured that must have been the reason.
Old 09-04-2003, 05:54 AM

Any muzzle break will significantly increase muzzle blast and its unfortunate that the first shot took you by surprise. Browning warns everyone that hearing protection should be used.
The benefits of a muzzle break far off-set the problem with muzzle blast. Many shooters have difficulty dealing with recoil which causes them to flinch when they fire. Reducing recoil to a manageable level allows more shooters to shoot more often and increases their skill level.
My 7mm-08 has little initial recoil and the BOSS makes it a ***** cat. However, my 300 Win Mag (ported) still kicks with some authority but nowhere nearly as bad as it did before the porting.
Practice doesn' t make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect. Therefore, I' d recomend anything that will encourage a shooter to shoot more often using good mechanics. Bring your hearing protection though.

" Our liberties are never so in jeopardy as when Congress is in session."
Thomas Jefferson

Quick Reply: Velocity with BOSS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.