Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

savage

Old 05-16-2012, 05:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Vapodog
HTML Code:
Savage rifles
Just plain suck
Just a wild guess but must be one of them Remington or Winchester guys who apparently would rather spend a few hundred dollars for a name than less money for an accurate rifle.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will never understand why some folks get down on one brand or another.I like something about the guns from most every company out there.Some variety is nice to.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:20 AM
Fork Horn

for the price the only gun I had better luck with straight out of the box than savage was a weatherby.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:21 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bernie P.
I will never understand why some folks get down on one brand or another.
Generally some particular bad experience, I bought a couple Remingtons a few years ago, and wasn't really happy with either. Bought a Savage .22mag a few years later, am very happy with it. Right now, I tend to gravitate toward Savage. But I really like that Rem pump rifle (model 7600??), so who knows.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bernie P.
I will never understand why some folks get down on one brand or another.I like something about the guns from most every company out there.Some variety is nice to.
+1

I don't think there are any absolutes when it comes to arguing about brands. So much of it simply boils down to personal preference - and that often goes for chamberings as well.

I don't own a Savage centerfire rifle, but my reason is one of personal preference - and that preference is no more defensible than the staunchest Savage fan's passion to the contrary. I can't say that of their rimfires, and there I have not one complaint. My first cartridge rifle was a Savage, and it's still in my possession.

I will say that Savage has LONG been one of those companies that's kept their price point reasonable and deserves credit for putting a lot of people into the field who otherwise might never have hunted. That they can build a nice rifle and stay competitive in a tough market says quite bit about their products, and if that competition makes my "pet" manufacturers build a better rifle as a result, it's all good.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:58 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by c-rad
for the price the only gun I had better luck with straight out of the box than savage was a weatherby.
I 2nd that one.