Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
A noticed trend >

A noticed trend

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

A noticed trend

Old 04-24-2012, 09:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Default A noticed trend

In the high power hunting rifle department I have noticed a trend to use really, and I mean really powerful cartridges. When I was a kid, we hunted deer with a 30-30 and never had a problem killing a deer. My uncle elk hunted with a 30-30 and took a nice bull at 80 yards, and never thought twice about it.

When I booked my first elk hunt in 1985, the guide got upset when he discovered I was going to hunt with a 30-06 742 Woodsmaster Carbine made by Remington. So much so in fact, I went and purchased a Ruger M77 in 7mm mag which was kind of the real power rifle back then. The elk I shot, I could have killed with my uncles 30-30.

Do you think some people are just going to real extremes with some of these calibers. For instance the old 45/70 was a great big game cartridge, but now they have these 300, 338, and all sorts of other calibers. Are they going to these large powerhouse calibers because they feel the need to shoot that powerful of a cartridge, or is it because it stretches out their potential effective range?

Lets say your going on a moose hunt. What caliber rifle would you take? and why?
Old 04-25-2012, 05:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I cant say I see much of a trend for using guns like the .338 where a .270 would be plenty but there's definitely a trend to ultra flat shooters like the 7mm RUM.Myself I think it's ridiculous to shoot such inefficient cartridges.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

In the ole' days most hunter used a .30-30 or a .30-06, because that's what was available not only in rifle calibers but in readily available ammuntion.

They still kill as good as they did, in fact maybe better due to bullet construction.

However, some guyz want the latest stuff out there..................each to their own !!!
Old 04-25-2012, 10:19 AM
Dominant Buck

I have no problem with people using the new calibers out there. But you talk to some of them and they are under the impression that the old calibers did not work. Which is just not true. I too, fell for that idea and got a 7mm mag. Great caliber, but is it really that much better then a 30-06 I owned? My Dad hunted many years with a WWII 7.7 ***anese Arisaka Model 99 bolt rifle. Basically a .308. And he dropped deer with that thing out to 200 yards like no ones business. The problem with his rifle is Norma made the ammo and it was expensive. So Dad only hunted with it.

The reason I made this post, the other day a friend came to my house and wanted to show me a new rifle he just purchased. Now remember, we hunt deer in Wisconsin. And it was a 300 Winchester Mag bolt action rifle. Beautiful rifle mind you. The funny part is, he broke out some shells for it... ($32.00 a box he said.. does that sound right?) And then we shot it at my range. The 100 yard target I figured would be a piece of cake for him. But almost immediately I noticed.. he was flinching. He was anticipating the recoil. And I swear I think he shut his eye on one of them, like he was expecting to be socked in the eye. And I thought.. why not a 270 or a 243 even a 308. All of them are much kinder on the shooter. But I bragged up his rifle for him. When he left I told him to leave the grizzly bears alone. We both laughed about that.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Can't blame any caliber/cartridge on bad marksmanship.

Nothing can replace practice !!!

IMO - 90 % of poor shooting is from never having learned/practiced the basics.

IMO - 90% of the people who flinch is from percussion not recoil; ear plugs plus ear muffs and start over with a lighter caliber.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree. There are an awful lot of people out there that shoot very little, if at all, during the year and then get out old Betsy a day or two before the season, shoot and hit a paper plate at 50 yards and call it good. Ones who then go out and miss or wound an animal then read about all these big boomers, as I call them, and think if they buy one of those all they need to do is hit the animal and it's katy bar the door! The friend of Cayugad is similar to what I'm talking about because he probably was flinching with the caliber compared to his 30-06. I have 22LR, 22 mags, and a 22 Hornet for real small stuff, a .243 for bigger stuff up through antelope, although it will do well on deer if you know how to shoot. I also have a 25-06 that I like for antelope and deer, but most of the time I deer hunt with one of several 30-06s and I always go to them for elk. The only reason I see for those 300s, 325s, 338s, etc. is for some really long range hunting out West where a 5 or 6 hundred yard shot might be your only chance at an animal based on the terrain and then I'd be stretching the 30-06 further than I would want to. I won't shoot anything past about 350 yards any more and it's mostly because of my eyes and not because the rifles I have won't go well past that distance effectively.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 04-25-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

New hunters or experienced hunters w/other weapons are coming into rifle hunting all the time.The gun companies and marketers need to justity new models/calibers to keep interest and profit alive.With all the new short mag/ultra mag cartridges getting the most press,less is heard and understood about old reliable favorites.The first time rifle buyer simply has too many choices.They may conclude that rifles getting all the press must be the weapon necessary.The new shooter,even when told, may not understand about recoil until the reality of shooting the said caliber.Suddenly the light comes on and the shooter realizes there's a price to be paid.
In answer to the moose question,I would use a .280 RS w/a good bonded core 160 gr. bullet.That's what I have and don't doubt it for a minute.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:12 PM
Spike

[B]Can't blame any caliber/cartridge on bad marksmanship.

Last edited by pamela90; 04-25-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:35 PM
Fork Horn

Smile

Apparently the newer breed of elk and deer have acquired Kevlar skin....

If my .270 won't kill it...it's likely more than I will consume anyway.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:56 PM
Fork Horn

Nope it won't. Don't get ME wrong,,but 1,000 yds. aint hunting.

Last edited by batchief909; 04-25-2012 at 05:58 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.