Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
A noticed trend >

A noticed trend

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

A noticed trend

Old 05-06-2012, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
OK I guess I should have done a bit more research. I was only lookng at one manufacturer. But on the other hand the .308 - 200 gr Accubond .588. But to be realistic IMO the 200 gr as well as the 180 gr in a 7mm is too much bullet to allow it to be the flat shooting cartridge it is. And the same can be said for the 200 gr .308. I believe the 7mm is better suited for bullets in the the 154 gr weight and the 30s in the 165 - 180 gr range. Anything heavier or lighter would be better served using a smaller or larger caliber.
Those bullets probably are too heavy for the standard 7mm Rem Mag or 30-06. IMO, those heavier bullets really shine when you get into the Ultra Mag and larger class of cartridges.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Shoobee
If either of you shows up with a .30-30 on an elk hunt, I suspect you will get the same reaction from the guide.
Here's a newsflash for you. I don't hunt with a guide.

I do have a couple friends who are elk guides, but the topic of caliber generally doesn't come up with them. We talk about elk, not about rifles.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
for big game to 500 and less, would be hard to beat a 338 win mag with a 250 gr accubond at 2750 fps.
RR

RR,

Thanks. I could probably make a 338 WM fit into the budget within a year or so. Out of curiosity, what cartridge(s) are capable beyond 500 yards on larger game?
Old 05-07-2012, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

many cartridges are capable if they are set up right, I have a 6.5 gibbs which is basicly 264/270 win. imp. to the max that is well capable to 1100 yards, its the setup that is important, if you need more info send me a pm.
RR
Really, 1100 yards for elk or moose sized animals? Stretching it a little arnt you? I am not familiar with the 6.5 Gibbs but I am guessing it produces a little less than a 264 Win mag. I have had a 30 Gibbs for about the last twenty years, it is close but not quiet a 300 win mag, a pain in the butt to fire form cases in my opinion for something that falls a little short of a 300 mag that I can buy brass and factory loads for, although it is more efficent, as far as powder burn. I just recently inherited a 270 Gibbs but have yet to play with it.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:27 PM
Fork Horn

Here's a video from Gunwerks, Utah elk dropped at 925 yds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmYJ6...eature=g-all-u

And a Wyoming elk at almost 1100 yds....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L48Eo...feature=relmfu
Old 05-08-2012, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wonder just how many animals they have wounded to get that footage that they dont show? This is exactly the kind of material the tree huggers love to see. So much for fair chase, you can shoot mutiple shots at that distance without the animal even being aware of it. Sure takes a hell of a hunter to get that close without spooking the animal. I thought this was a hunting forum not the long range shooting forum.

Its a good thing those guys in those videos were camoed out, they probably wouldnt have been able to get so close had they not.

Last edited by fritz1; 05-08-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:21 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by fritz1
I wonder just how many animals they have wounded to get that footage, that they dont show? This is exactly the kind of material the tree huggers love to see. So much for fair chase, you can shoot mutiple shots at that distance without the animal being aware of it. Sure takes a hell of a hunter to get that close without spooking the animal. I thought this was a hunting forum not a long range forum.
I wonder if you've watched the same hunting shows i have, seeing world champion archery shooters, gut shooting deer. Ginger moorehead was my favorite, she shot the same deer in the guts 2x at 20yds. Or ted nugent smoking a buck in the neck with a bow. Yup, That's quality up close hunting to brag about. Your worried about the wrong things. It should only matter how fast and clean the kill is, not the distance.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by stapher1
I wonder if you've watched the same hunting shows i have, seeing world champion archery shooters, gut shooting deer. Ginger moorehead was my favorite, she shot the same deer in the guts 2x at 20yds. Or ted nugent smoking a buck in the neck with a bow. Yup, That's quality up close hunting to brag about. Your worried about the wrong things. It should only matter how fast and clean the kill is, not the distance.
It doesnt matter who makes the shot, that just shows you how easy it is to do it at close range, now multiply that times 50. Are you trying to say archery hunters wound more game than rifle hunters? That is B.S. there are far more game wounded by guns than bows, a person has to get close to a animal to shoot it with a bow, you dont see road hunters using archery equipment, it takes a dedicated hunter to use a bow. Every idiot that can afford a gun can get close enough to a animal to sling lead at it, especially when they are shooting 500+ yards. The chances of making a poor shot drastically increases as the range increases, any one knows this. There are alot more variables to consider when shooting long distance. You have to have a extremely thin jacketed bullet to work at those distances or it will be like a solid, you use the same bullet up close and it will blow up on the outside of the animal. Like I said before, it doesnt take a hunter to kill a animal at 500+ yards, it takes a marksmen, with the right gear, the right conditions, and a little luck. It takes a hunter to get up close and personal with a trophy deer or elk. No amount of money can buy you the equipment to accomplish this. It simply amazes me that people were able to kill anything before they came out with all this new scent cover up, newest camo that you have to have, that changes every year, Barnes and Berger bullets, Tactical scopes, and ultra mags.

Nothing like taking the sport of big game hunting and turning it in to a prairie dog shoot.

Last edited by fritz1; 05-08-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

bow hunters never fail to recover game, thats why I've killed no less than 7 bucks with festered up broadheads in them during firearms season.
RR
Same for rifle hunters. I have a desk full of grown over bullets that I have found while shaving hides here at the tannery.
A bad shot is a bad shot, it doesnt matter what it is done with. There are idiots that will fling arrows a 100 yards at game. Can it be done? Of course, I practice out to 100 yards with my bow, and I am really consistent at it but you will not see me take a shot over 50 yards.

Last edited by fritz1; 05-08-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Fritz, game can move on any type of shot. anyone who's bow hunted long enough has had one jump the string at some point. That's part of hunting. And we all know you've been banned over this before, so maybe it's time to give up. RR has consistently shown that he knows what he's doing. You're not convincing anyone by throwing a fit. Gets rather obnoxious actually!
-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.