Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
A noticed trend >

A noticed trend

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

A noticed trend

Old 05-04-2012, 07:17 PM
Typical Buck

Interesting.

I guess we don't have that problem. We have black and white cows in my neck of the woods. ;-) Although, they still have been shot during the gun deer season.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Sfury
Ok, you have me curious, what is a mistaken kill?
When a "hunter" shoots a:

Buck instead of a doe, doe instead of a buck, a buck with less than 3 points on one side (antler restriction) or (and my favorite) shooting a elk instead of whitetail. etc.....
Old 05-04-2012, 08:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Reminds me of the guy and his wife who went out on their first elk hunt together. They split apart and in a little while he heard the wife shoot and then start screaming. As he got over to see what the commotion was, she was screaming at a guy to get away from her elk and that it wasn't his. The cowboy was trying to calm her down and finally said she could have it and that all he wanted was his saddle back, LOL!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 05-04-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:18 PM
Dominant Buck

I am not making this up.. a farmer friend of mine was looking out his kitchen window, eating lunch, at his beef cows. It was deer season. He saw a car stop on the highway, and a man got out, in blaze orange clothing, rifle in hand, crawled under his fence and started moving his way towards the herd of cattle. He ran outside and yelled at the man.. what the */-+*/ are you doing? The man pointed at his cattle and said.. deer. Look at the deer. Needless to say that man was told to get off the land.

Also a hunter (this story was told to me and I can not confirm it true or false) went into a DNR station to register his deer. In Wisconsin, we have to register all our deer. The man was from out of State. In the back of his truck, tagged, shot, and gutted, was a donkey.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:53 AM
Typical Buck

Did you hear about the guy that shot and killed a moose back in 1995?

It was up in Douglas County where I hunt. He was dragging it out after dark for obvious reasons. The wardens had seen his vehicle was still there long after dark so they decided to greet whomever owned the vehicle on a hunch. If no one came out, they would have gone in with a search party in the morning.

Well, the guy showed up with the moose and claimed he thought it was deer. Needless to say, he can't legally hunt in Wisconsin any more.

That actually made me sad. It was probably one of the two moose I saw the year before lounging around in a swampy area where I hunt. A cow and her calf. The calf was bigger than most whitetails when I saw them during the gun deer season (traveling between two stands).
Old 05-05-2012, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Shoobee
Back in the days when game was plentiful, a .30-30 or a .270 was probably plenty for elk.

Now however if you need to make a long shot, you need to be equipped with a flat shooting rifle that will reach out there a longer ways.

The .338 and the .300 are very similar, and they reach out a long ways for over 500 yards with a walloping punch, ideal for elk and bears.

The guide was probably troubled because with a .30-30 you might be in for a long tracking job which is a waste of his time.

The .338 and the .300 drop anything in American in its tracks. You do not need a more powerful rifle unless you go to Africa to hunt.

The .270 and the .30-06 will drop anything close in, but you need to remember that the .30-06 was designed with WW1 combat (sniping) in mind, and the .30-30 for Indians and cougars in the wild west. They wont drop a big animal at a long distance in its tracks.

It's not that easy to sneak close to big game anymore, not like it used to be.

Moose are pretty stupid and blind, and a .45-70 is probably fine for them, sure. Different subject though. You started out talking about elk.
Where do you come up with this stuff? Movies? Comic Books? Or, do you just make it up yourself? Indians and cougars? WW1 sniping? When game was plentiful? I see that Fritz has called you to account, but I'm suprised that no one else has challenged you for such a ridiculous statement as this.

For one, I think you'd better go study some history, in particular the periods of the Indian Campaigns and World War 1. It probably wouldn't hurt for you to understand firearms development and use in the intervening period.

(edit) I'll give you a hint. The .30-30 (.30 WCF) was introduced with the M1894 Winchester rifle in 1895. Native Americans were largely confined to reservations and marginalized as a threat by the time of the massacre at Wounded Knee - in 1890.

And second, if you can't get close to game, it's not the fault of the game or the rifle, it's YOUR fault. I hunt deer and elk in some of the most heavily hunted (general license) areas in Wyoming. No, you can't expect to hit the National Forest boundary and take your choice of monster trophy braggin' buck or bull, you've actually got to get out and HUNT them. Yup, TV makes it look so easy, doesn't it?

Last edited by homers brother; 05-05-2012 at 06:09 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
Also a hunter (this story was told to me and I can not confirm it true or false) went into a DNR station to register his deer. In Wisconsin, we have to register all our deer. The man was from out of State. In the back of his truck, tagged, shot, and gutted, was a donkey.
I think every state has their version of this. Here, it's the warden who didn't have the heart to tell the (usually nonresident hunter) that he'd shot a mule (or horse).

The theme generally seems pretty consistent though, and relatively timeless since I first heard this in Colorado in the late 1970s: There are hunters afield who aren't that bright.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by homers brother
Where do you come up with this stuff? Movies? Comic Books? Or, do you just make it up yourself? Indians and cougars? WW1 sniping? When game was plentiful? I see that Fritz has called you to account, but I'm suprised that no one else has challenged you for such a ridiculous statement as this.

For one, I think you'd better go study some history, in particular the periods of the Indian Campaigns and World War 1. It probably wouldn't hurt for you to understand firearms development and use in the intervening period.

(edit) I'll give you a hint. The .30-30 (.30 WCF) was introduced with the M1894 Winchester rifle in 1895. Native Americans were largely confined to reservations and marginalized as a threat by the time of the massacre at Wounded Knee - in 1890.

And second, if you can't get close to game, it's not the fault of the game or the rifle, it's YOUR fault. I hunt deer and elk in some of the most heavily hunted (general license) areas in Wyoming. No, you can't expect to hit the National Forest boundary and take your choice of monster trophy braggin' buck or bull, you've actually got to get out and HUNT them. Yup, TV makes it look so easy, doesn't it?

I thought about calling him out myself but thought it might be his attempt at sarcasm and he forgot the "smileys"????
Old 05-05-2012, 10:16 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
I thought about calling him out myself but thought it might be his attempt at sarcasm and he forgot the "smileys"????
If either of you shows up with a .30-30 on an elk hunt, I suspect you will get the same reaction from the guide.

And if you take your own advice and research the origins of the .30-30 and the .30-06 you will come to the same realizations that these were early military designs not big game calibres, rather than arguing with yourselves.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:31 AM
Fork Horn

It amazes me how a simple question was asked and what is replied is anything but what the question was about. Dave, I shoot alot and I pick up and use range brass instead of buying new. I can get all the 30-06 and 30-30 I want. I've got more 308 than I think I'll ever use but then one never knows. There is some of the wsm in the buckets, but not a lot a few but a years back there was a bunch but not lately maybe they just aren't fun to shoot. There is a lot of 243 at times as much as 06 and there are some of the old belted mags but a small amount compaired to the old stand buys. I think some guys get caught up in the bigger is better thing but I think most still shoot the "standard" rounds (if there is such a thing). there are times when a new round comes out that for a time there is a fair amount in the buckets (the newer marlin rounds come to mind) but they even fade once the new seems to where off. Yes there is a trend for bigger is better, but there is still sanity out there, it all makes the world go around

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.