Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
A noticed trend >

A noticed trend

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

A noticed trend

Old 05-09-2012, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Fritz, game can move on any type of shot. anyone who's bow hunted long enough has had one jump the string at some point. That's part of hunting. And we all know you've been banned over this before, so maybe it's time to give up. RR has consistently shown that he knows what he's doing. You're not convincing anyone by throwing a fit. Gets rather obnoxious actually!
-Jake
Nope, never been banned.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by fritz1
Nope, never been banned.

I stand corrected . It was awful close tho, I am sure of that.
-Jake
Old 05-09-2012, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I stand corrected . It was awful close tho, I am sure of that.
-Jake
You are right about that.

Ridge to answer your question. I have never shot a deer at what you call long range. This buck was the longest shot I have ever taken on a deer.

I spotted it at about 600 yards but slowly worked my way to about 250 yards before I took the shot, this to me is a long big game shot. I know I could have hit when I first spoted it, I have shot coyotes out at that distance so I know I was capable, but I guess I find it more exhilerating to stalk a animal and to get as close as possible with out alerting him to my presence. I can also see where a long shot probably gives you the same thrill. I will erase my post were I made some derogatory and unessesary comments.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Ridge to answer your question. I have never shot a deer at what you call long range. This buck was the longest shot I have ever taken on a deer.

I spotted it at about 600 yards but slowly worked my way to about 250 yards before I took the shot, this to me is a long big game shot. I know I could have hit when I first spoted it, I have shot coyotes out at that distance so I know I was capable, but I guess I find it more exhilerating to stalk a animal and to get as close as possible with out alerting him to my presence. I can also see where a long shot probably gives you the same thrill. I will erase my post were I made some derogatory and unessesary comments.

That^^^ We're all into hunting for different reasons. Usually different reasons at different stages of our life, and even different stages of the season. I love archery hunting, but when rifle season comes in I always make sure I still have a tag or two left. And next season I'm gonna have to save another tag for muzzleloader. There's always going to be a "better" way to do something. But that's not why I'm out there. I'm out there to enjoy the woods and the different styles of hunting.

That's a great buck you got also.
-Jake
Old 05-09-2012, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's a great looking buck! I'd be proud of him no matter the
distance or the type of weapon I used.

I know a couple guys who give me a hard time because I use a compound bow and not a recurve. They think by using a compound bow I'm cheating. I don't feel that way but I do know I'm just as accurate as they are and practice less. I bring this up because we are all hunters, be it with archery equipment, muzzleloaders, or modern centerfire rifles. We all need to stick together even if our hunting styles differ.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:01 AM
Typical Buck

I think the one of the biggest bad trends I see in the hunting world is hunters using gadgets to compensate for lack of practice and fundamentals.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
stalking don't happen here, here is the type of ground I hunt

you either set over a deer trail and shoot them at 50 yards in the timber, or find a ridge with mature open hardwoods, back off and glass
stalking just don't work
RR
Actually Ridge, that doesnt look too much different than where I hunt. Looks alot like this part of Idaho.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medi..._8008896_n.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medi...63475353_n.jpg

Last edited by fritz1; 05-10-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

[quote=VAhuntr;3936500]That's a great looking buck! I'd be proud of him no matter the
distance or the type of weapon I used.

+1 Great buck !

Old 05-11-2012, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Magnum shooters suck.

If you don't hunt like me, you suck.

I shot a big deer so everything I say is right.

This is some stupid chit!
Old 05-11-2012, 11:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
Magnum shooters suck.

If you don't hunt like me, you suck.

I shot a big deer so everything I say is right.

This is some stupid chit!

No one said that. Once again you have skimmed over a thread and come to a complete BS conclusion. And you do it so often that it seems like you have some kind of personal insecurity issue you need to work out.

All anyone is saying is that a lot of people are being bull####ed into believing they "NEED" these big stomper magnums to kill deer or elk and they don't. That's it. All this other stuff you are spouting is just you trying to put words in other peoples mouths.

If you want to shoot ground hogs with a 416 Rigby, great. Just don't try to hose the rest of us with the BS that it's needed. A 22-250 works just fine for that.

If you want to shoot at deer or elk 1000 yards away just to see if you can still hit them from that distance, fine. But again, don't act like you have to. We have a long gun season here in Alabama and these deer are hunted hard. Our bucks are as skittish as any on the planet. But you would be hard pressed to spook them from a 1000 yards away if you were sitting in your truck with the lights on honking the horn. If you can't get to at least 400 yards from a game animal then you aren't trying real hard.

Last edited by Todd1700; 05-12-2012 at 06:36 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.