Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Opinions on .22 Caliber rifles >

Opinions on .22 Caliber rifles

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Opinions on .22 Caliber rifles

Old 04-24-2012, 08:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Opinions on .22 Caliber rifles

Today I decided to treat myself. I went shopping for a new .22 caliber rifle. I looked at three, hands on mind you that caught my eye and made me smile. Although I will come out and state.. the assault style rifles really peaked my interest. The three I handled were;

#1 Henry .22 caliber lever action model HOO1. Wood Stock, forearm, 1-16 twist, iron sights. $292.00 The wood while pretty was nothing special. Very well balanced for such a little rifle. The store refused to remove the trigger lock so I could not examine the lever smoothness or the trigger as well. Seems like a well built rifle. The iron sights were nothing too special. I have shot this particular rifle in the past. My brother owns the same rifle I looked at, and I found it to be very accurate and smooth in operation.

#2 Sig Sauer model 522 in .22 caliber. 10 shot magazine. 1-16 twist. Peep sights. Polymer stock and forearm. Stock is folding and extendable (the folding part would not mean much to me). 6.4 pounds in weight (which surprised me because it looks like a plastic toy). $497.00 It was very well balanced for an assault type looking rifle, shouldering very nice and coming to eye each time. The trigger pull is said to be around four pounds, but they would not let me play with the trigger part in the store. With the Picatinny rail up top, I figured I could throw a Red Dot on it. Would be a lot of fun to shoot by the looks of it. Additional larger capacity magazines can be obtained "I was told."

#3 Smith & Wesson model M&P 15-22 in .22 caliber. 25 shot magazine. Semi Automatic. Cost $427.00 This rifle reminds me of the ones police carry for some reason. The Stock was extendable. The Picatinny rail up top would allow the installment of a Red Dot. The rifle TO ME NOW.. did not shoulder as well as the Sig Sauer. I had to constantly move my face to get the peep sight lineed up. Then I shortened the stock one click in, and it lined up much better for me. Weight of the rifle is 5.5 pounds, almost a pound lighter then the Sig. That surprised me. The trigger is rated at 7 pounds. Can this be right? Also it is 33 inches over all length, two inches shorter then the Sig Sauer. And the barrel is a 1-15 twist.

I did some searching on the internet. I watched videos of both semi autos being shot. The Smith & Wesson seemed to have feeding problems. The Sig Sauer in the video never jammed or failed to feed. Also in a video of side by side comparison by two shooters... both complemented the Sig's trigger and action over the Smith's. Accuracy wise, they were both pretty good with open sights (one video) and with a Red Dot.

I read reviews from manufacturer sights and of course they were all glowing. I was wondering what experience any of you might have with the model of rifle, or the basic style. Also whether you've heard any horror stories of jamming, or poor accuracy.

Another couple I checked out on line only..

#4 American Tactical Import GSG-5 which looks just like the MP5 but in .22 caliber. That also has great reviews. But every placed I checked.. they are out of stock.

#5 American Tactical Imports .22 caliber AK-47. This one I did find. But to be honest, the AK-47 never really did anything for me. Now I have shot them in 5.56mm and they were nice rifles. But I like the assault style better.

Any of you have hands on experience, or knowledge of how they shoot? In a You Tube video, the Sig was fired as fast as they could, with four kinds of Wal Mart .22 shells. And they had one Winchester that was a fail to fire. But the rifle never jammed. Also the accuracy was impressive.

thanks..
Old 04-25-2012, 03:35 AM
Typical Buck

The Ruger 10/22 is a fine gun choice as well. They really don't have any food problems, and they have a ton of accessories available should you want to modify it.

I own a CZ 452 which is a bolt action .22 LR gun. It has a really nice walnut stock, but the factory trigger is meh. It still shoots incredibly well with the stock trigger. A true tack driver as the saying goes.

One thing you will find with semi-auto .22 pistols is that they do tend to jam more than their rifle counterparts. Use a better quality ammo, and keep the gun clean and lubed it will jam less. I own a Ruger MK III which is very similar in quality to the Browning Buckmark .22 as far as the tests and comparisons I've seen over the years.

Let's face it, .22s are just dirty rounds, and more cheaply made rounds than most other calibers. They are just prone to having more problems. If you want perfect reliability, you really aren't going to find it in the .22 LR caliber.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, .22 ammunition is generally pretty dirty. As well, high capacity .22 magazines often aren't a study in reliable function. Combine the two, and you have a jam-o-matic.

As Sfury has already mentioned, the 10/22 has a solid reputation for reliability. CZs 455 will let you change rimfire calibers. Another pair of lever guns you might look at are the Browning BL-22 or the Marlin M39.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:29 AM
Dominant Buck

I owned a Ruger 10/22 once. That thing was the most INACCURATE rifle I ever shot. So I contacted Ruger and they had me take it to a Ruger Certified Dealer. The gunsmith there "claims" he tested it and it was fine. Now don't get me wrong, that Ruger always loaded and fired. You just could not hit anything with it. So I figured it was me and the iron sights. I then put a scope on it. Still, it would not hold a group. I tried different ammunition and still no luck. I told a friend about the rifle and actually got in an argument over it, and he offered to buy it, with even having shot it. He got a heck of a deal. Six months later when I ran into him, I asked him about his 10/22 and he said, he couldn't hit anything with it, neither could his Dad. So, he sold it. No more Ruger 10/22s for me. I do have a Ruger T22 semi auto pistol with a Bull Target Barrel. Fantastic shooting pistol. Never jams, shoots any kind of ammo, just a good gun. But that 10/22 was not a favorite for me. I own a M77 also, and it is very accurate.

I do not want a bolt action rifle. I stopped hunting squirrel basically because no one wants to eat them, and I will not kill for fun. I have a Remington Fieldmaster Pump rifle if I want an ACCURATE rifle. I want a Fun Rifle. Something to play with. I like to shoot swinging targets and gong targets in my woods. That is why the tactical rifle appeals to me.

Being a retired police officer, I have been around semi auto weapons most my adult life. I am well aware that they must be kept clean. And the tactical rifles are easy to clean. So that is not a problem. I was more interested in information reference the function of the different brands I mentioned. I love to shoot. I have my own range I love to shoot that much. And just the thought of shooting those tactical rifles appeal to me.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:30 AM
Fork Horn

Try to find a Winchester 9422 if you want a lever gun. I purchased mine new, and will never part with it. Shoots shorts, longs, and long rifle fodder without a hitch. great accuracy also.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Take a look at this Anniversary Edition;

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firear...ding/60DLX.asp

Mine shoots great !
Old 04-25-2012, 10:30 AM
Dominant Buck

That's a nice looking rifle Bat. But I think I got a case of black rifle fever. When I was handling them tactical rifles, I really liked them for some reason. Mossberg sells a Tactical 22 that looks like an AR-15. I read the reviews and it said they worked fine, but were all plastic other then the barrel and bolt. Polymer.. not plastic. And I guess that is the future in rifles. So I might have to go look at one of them.

Sheridan.. my friend has that rifle. And YES!! it is really an accurate and smooth shooting rifle. Just as fast as you want to fire it goes off.

In the gun cabinet somewhere is an old Springfield semi auto that I think looks identical to that one. That was my first rifle. Then I have a Springfield bolt action 22. A big long old devil. And the sights broke off it somewhere along the line. I gave away a Sears .22 single shot bolt rifle, very accurate and safe. I gave that to a kid that had no dad, and I used to take him small game hunting. He always carried that little single shot. So after talking to his mother .. I told him to take it home with him. And I still have a Remington Fieldmaster pump rifle. So the next .22 will be just for fun. Like my .22 cowboy action nine shot Italian revolver (my brother borrowed and still has). Lots of fun to draw and shoot. But its not the most accurate revolver I ever shot. Then I have three other .22 handguns for plinking and fun. So I wanted the rifle for just having fun with. That rifle you posted looks like a serious hunting rifle. If I get a lever gun, I want to put a large loop lever on it.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Might want to look at a AR-15 in .223/5.56 and a .22 conversion kit.

Best of both worlds............... now that could be fun !!!
Old 04-25-2012, 01:29 PM
Typical Buck

There are many companies that make the AR style .22s that get good reviews. Basically go with any company that makes good ARs and you will have a reliable gun. There are a lot of good options out there.

As far as 10/22s go, the only one I've used a lot is older than myself. My Father still owns it. It's a tack driver that has dropped many a squirrel and some rabbits over the years. Having had that type of experience growing up does make me partial to them.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:19 PM
Fork Horn

Just for giggles, Dave...I recently picked up a "like new" JC Higgins Model 103 228-22 bolt action 5-shot for $80. I had one of these as a teenager! It's a tack-driver!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.