Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Defective Remingtons >

Defective Remingtons

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Defective Remingtons

Old 04-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Defective Remingtons

I saw this story, and wondered if anyone here has had or heard of this problem.

http://rockcenter.msnbc.msn.com/_new...ischarges?lite
Old 04-12-2012, 03:39 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah I've heard of story's like that and others. Even witnessed a few Remington 721's and 700's fire when taking the safety off. Just last year brand new gun did it twice for one hunter. But a gun sliding off the fender and hitting the ground who knows how hard could possibly not be the guns fault. If a fire arm hits the ground hard enough it's possible for it to go off if it's not SAFELY UNLOADED first, which most hunters would have done before propping it up against a truck before loading other gear. That would be normal in my book.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, it's been ongoing ever since Mike Walker, who worked for them, engineered the trigger and found out they needed minor work to eliminate the problem. The Remington executives hashed it over and decided it would be cheaper to settle lawsuits as they came up than to spend money (a few cents per gun at the time) to correct the problem. They have been involved in numerous lawsuits and given millions of dollars to litigants that had a discharge when the trigger was not touched, reworked, etc. Poor cleaning procedures also exacerbates the problem. I have read of numerous people on many hunting websites that have had it happen and thankfully the gun was pointed in a safe direction when it went off. At least 20 people have died when the rifles weren't pointed in a safe direction when they went off. Remington finally changed the trigger design a few years ago to one that Walker wanted several decades or more ago, but have continued to put them in their cheap 770 series, which is unbelievable IMO. I hope a bunch don't get on this thread praising their 700s and saying they've never had it happen to them because it just might the next time they handle them. That's the bad deal with the problem because it can't be replicated, there is no way to know when it will occur, and no way to prevent it other than replacing it with an aftermarket trigger, which I would suggest everyone that has one that was made more than 5 or 6 years ago do ASAP.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

And you, Sir, have no idea what you're talking about because there have been thousands of documented cases over the years that say you're wrong and the inventor himself says they needed to be fixed!!! I figured there would be a least one that came on here with absolutely no knowledge of the actual problem. I'll wager that you don't even know what the trigger is called or how it works compared to other normal type triggers! If you do, let's hear all about what you know and please don't take a day or three to look it up, LOL! Also, maybe you can come up with a good reason why Remington finally changed them in their best seller after they settled their last court case and paid millions regarding the problem.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 04-12-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackelk
Even witnessed a few Remington 721's and 700's fire when taking the safety off.
That's amazing! I wonder what the odds are on that? You have witnessed several 721's and 700's fire just by taking off the safety?

I've owned them for years and so have my buddies. I've also seen hundreds of them shot at ranges for the last 40 plus years.

The only ones I have seen go bang, have had someone pull the trigger. Just saying........
Old 04-12-2012, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
And you, Sir, have no idea what you're talking about because there have been thousands of documented cases over the years that say you're wrong and the inventor himself says they needed to be fixed!!! I figured there would be a least one that came on here with absolutely no knowledge of the actual problem. I'll wager that you don't even know what the trigger is called or how it works compared to other normal type triggers! If you do, let's hear all about what you know and please don't take a day or three to look it up, LOL! Also, maybe you can come up with a good reason why Remington finally changed them in their best seller after they settled their last court case and paid millions regarding the problem.
Sorry, but that's just funny. Companies have to pay frivolous stupid lawsuits all the time. You should read up a little more on what really happened.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've seen it happen twice, my .223 and also a .243. But BOTH triggers had been worked on. One without my knowledge and the other myself and a friend did. STOCK or someone that knows what they are doing, the factory 700 triggers are EXCELLENT triggers! My full blown custom LR rig has a factory 700 trigger, nothing at all wrong with them.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:46 PM
Spike

Even witnessed a few Remington 721's and 700's fire when taking the safety off. Just last year brand new gun did it twice for one hunter.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Blah blah blah blah blah....
Old 04-13-2012, 03:10 AM
Typical Buck

Ya'll seem a little defensive on this subject. Yes I have seen remington 721's and 700's go off by just pushing the safety forward. Like I said saw it happen twice on a brand new gun a hunter brought to hunting camp when we checked it for sight in. Yep this is not new news. And to add more fuel to the fire a year ago a friend of mine swapped out his trigger on his 700 because it was what he called UNSAFE. Like I said this is nothing new and I have no reason to sit here and bash remington's this is just fact that they have some issues to work out starting from way back when. I don't know what the percentage is coming off the table of the guns that have done this but in my opinion 1 out of a 100 is too many. So carry on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.