Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Makarov pistol bore diameters >

Makarov pistol bore diameters

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Makarov pistol bore diameters

Old 04-06-2012, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Makarov pistol bore diameters

I currently own one bonafide Makarov pistol, and 2 Walther knock-offs chambered in 9mm Makarov.

My bonafide Makarov is an East German Makarov from the Ernst Thaelman factory in Suhl, Thueringen. It is really a nicely finished pistol and shoots very well.

The other 2 pistols are both FEG guns ... one being a PA-63 7+1 shot, and the other an SMC-918 6+1 shot. Both of these guns are nice, just not as nice as the Ernst Thaulman gun.

My question relates to reloading. I've accumulated a bunch of brass and have some Sierra and Hornady bullets. The Sierra stuff is listed as .363 and the Horandy bullets are listed as .365 diameter.

I know to really know whats what I should slug my barrels, but thought some of the folks here would be familiar with these weapons as they are not rare. In fact I think the PA-63's are still being sold at good prices. Nice back up pistol and not very difficult to conceal. Don't like the thumbrest left grip though. Not for sliding in a conceal holster anyway.

Any info - advice regarding these barrel diameters or experience with loading for any of these pistols would be helpful.
Thanks,
8mm/06 (John)

Last edited by 8mm/06; 04-06-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

bump it up
Old 04-16-2012, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

If anyone has any experience with reloading for a Makarov I'd appreciate hearing from you.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have any experience with either of these pistols, but I've seen enough oversized bores to know that you really need to slug the bore. Berry's makes a plated .364" diameter 95 grain rn bullet that should work.
http://www.berrysmfg.com/product-i14...4_95gr_RN.aspx
Old 04-17-2012, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Centaur 1
I don't have any experience with either of these pistols, but I've seen enough oversized bores to know that you really need to slug the bore. Berry's makes a plated .364" diameter 95 grain rn bullet that should work.
http://www.berrysmfg.com/product-i14...4_95gr_RN.aspx

Thanks for the link and the reply. These Berry bullets might be fine, but you're right. I'll need to slug it if I can't get some definitive info.
I'm going to look for some soft lead egg sinkers that are just a bit oversize to my bore. I should be able to pound them down my muzzels to find what I'm looking for.