Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 A question about bullets? >

A question about bullets?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

A question about bullets?

Old 08-28-2003, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A question about bullets?

If you want a bullet that will hold together & blow through the other side I would load the Partition. I personally do not load the partition just for deer. I have always liked the Hornady interlock bullet for deer. The interlock bullet has a interlocking band that will hold the back part of the bullet together while the front part fragments & mushrooms. IMHO the interlock is like the Partition only softer.
I guess you already knew that.
Load up some 130 grain interlocks & see how they shoot? My guess is they will shoot just as good as the Nosler BT' s.

Good luck
Old 08-28-2003, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let me rephrase it.....If you are lucky enough to have a hunting gun that shoots 1/2" groups from a bench and another gun that shoots 1.125" groups from a bench, they are equivalent deer hunting rifles in my mind. I say this because you won' t have a bench shooting at deer.....you can' t really take advantage of the better accuracy.

The gun that shoots 1.125" at 100 yards is totally adequate for the task as far away as most modern guns can shoot. If the target is so far away that you actually need the better grouping gun, it' s probably out of practical range anyway.

Don' t misunderstand, I' d rather have the 1/2" grouping gun anyday. However my comfort level with a gun that consistantly shoots 1 1/8" is just as fine.

A gun that shoots 3" groups is a totally different story.

My .300 H&H shoots very accurately...an inch and less. However on my recent African Safari I couldn' t use the accuracy.....I couldn' t find a rest anywhere to shoot well. All the shooting was over sticks and in many cases I had to turn to my PH and say...we got to get closer. That gun should have been able to make a clean kill on an animal the size of a Kudu at 400 yards.....however I couldn' t hold it still over those damn sticks.

That' s why I say that we can overdo groups sometimes. I' d rather take a trophy bonded bear claw that grouped 1.125 in my gun after elk than a Nosler BT that grouped 3/8" ....
Old 08-28-2003, 02:50 PM

Vapodog,
Thanks for the clarification now I understand better what you meant.
I had never seen that statement before and wondered.

I tend to agree with your statements. There are people who can shoot 1/2 groups at the range that can' t hit a deer with a whole box of bullets at 300 yards in the field.

On the long shots with a dead solid rest and with favorable conditions is where the 1/2" rifle and all the practice pay for themselves.
Without the 1/2" rifle and appropriate skill/practice, shots over 300 yards are questionable.
With a 1 1/2" rifle, shots at 400+ have little margin for error.
Only a skilled shooter with a dead solid rest would be able to take advantage of the better accuracy of the 1/2" shooter.

Old 08-28-2003, 04:38 PM

That Nosler ballistic tip is a very popular bullet in this area. The latest variation should be certain death on Whitetails. I' ve used them in in .280 rem and 300 win mag without any problems. Actually I found that the 180s I was using in the 300 weren' t quite as expansive as I like them to be. Nosler has a new ballistic tip with a bonded core called " Accubond" . It shoud be awesome, although I haven' t loaded any yet. I think a 140 grain Ballistic tip would be the best choice for a 270 win., but most folks I know who shoot BT' s in their gun go with the 130 grain. My brother and his son shoot them in their 270s and they have been very pleased.

Another bullet you might want to consider is the Hornady SST. I' ve been shooting them in my 300 mag for 2 seasons. I shoot the 165 grain bullet. It shoots sub-MOA
and tends to make deer very sick[X(]. I' ve shot 4 deer with them and they all dropped in their tracks. Hornady also has a bonded model named " Interbond" .

I think it' s a great problem to have all these quality bullets to choose from...

>>>---DAVIDP---SILERCITY,NC--->

Old 08-28-2003, 04:42 PM

I have been using Nosler Ballastic Tips for about 7 years now.
I have killed 14 deer with a rem .243 using 95 grain ballastic tips (hand loaded)
I have killed 7 deer with a savage .270 using 150 grain ballastic tips (hand loaded)
all have been one shot kills from 20 to 175 yards. most fell where they stood the others never traveled over twenty yards from where they stood. They cost for factory ammo is about $18.00 a box . Buy a box and form your own opinion.I do not think you will be disappointed.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

they should do just fine...my dad shoots fedrals 165 gr nosle balistic tips....most of the shots are about 30 yds...he shot 3 deer in the last 2 years not one took a single step...im switching to them this year myself since hes shooting a 8mm mauser this year...they perform pretty good...they arent as devistating as some make them out to be.....i heard them and hollow points rip them apart to much....i shoot hollowpoints and got the same results as my dad....wounds are identicle....but i dont get wehre people can say they are to devistating....then again maybe they are compared to a normal soft point....ive never shot one....
Old 08-29-2003, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the replies guys...I guess we' ll see
Old 08-29-2003, 04:33 PM

I have used 150 gr. Ballistic Tip bullets in .270 Win. for several years now. I like the 150 gr. bullets for the high ballistic coefficient which they have. The whitetails I have taken have ranged from 15 yds. out to 300 yds. or so. I have never had a complaint about the performance of these bullets. I have had deer drop in their tracks and some ran a short way before going down but I' ve never lost a deer after shooting one with a Ballistic Tip. All shots taken are chest cavity broadside or quartering shots. Best group my A-Bolt Stainless Stalker has achieved with these is a 3/4" 5 shot group @ 100 yds. which isn' t too shabby for a factory rifle with no accurizing work done to it. If your Dad' s gun shot that good with them, then I would look no further for a deer load. I think he will be satisfied with them, I know I am. Good luck!!
Old 09-01-2003, 05:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nosler has a new ballistic tip with a bonded core called " Accubond" . It shoud be awesome
The Accubond is the same as the Ballistic Tip except it has a bonded core. It should shoot exactly the same, but hold together for maximum penetration. If you are worried about penetration, use this one! I' m looking for some Accubond 260 grain .375' s for use in elk hunting with the .375 H&H!!
Old 09-01-2003, 11:53 AM

IMO Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet is a little " soft" compared to some other bullets, (about like Sierra game bullets). But I have also found them to be completely adequate for Whitetail deer. Whitetails are neither big, nor toughly built. Rather they have rather light frames when compared to many other big game animals. I have used, with good results, the 120 grain Ballistic Tips in my .260 Rem on whitetail deer and have always had adequate penetration. The bullet that performs with the best terminal performance on game is a bullet that both, penetrates sufficiently to vital organs, and expands violently thus transmitting shock to tissue as it penetrates. That is why it is important to match the bullet to its intended use. I lived, and hunted, for over five years in Alaska, (and we are moving back this upcoming spring), and I have a healthy respect for a bullet that penetrates. I found myself usually carrying Nosler Partitions, (though I have also used Swift A-frames, Barnes both original and X, Speer Grand Slams, Trophy Bonded, and some hard cast lead revolver bullets), and the Partitions never failed to give me through and through penetration. With signs of acceptable expansion. But whitetails are not Moose, big bears, or even as heavy as Caribou. I think you will probably find that you get more than acceptable penetration in either 130 or 140 grains in the .270 on Whitetail. Though if you put a bullet in a hind quarter you will probably not be eating that hind quarter. Keep the bullets in the chest and you will be more than pleased with its performance. Though I will add this. When hunting either big game, and or potentially dangerous game, I will always trade a little intrinsic accuracy for a bullet that delivers penetration and terminal performance for the game in mind.

One other thing to consider. Even if you cannot field shoot to bench grade accuracy when hunting....it is not entirely true that you cannot use some of the accuracy potential. A rifle/bullet combination that starts off more accurately on the bench will still have that potential in the field. For example...if you can hold to a 4" circle at 100 yds. under field conditions and start with a rifle that shoots 3/4 MOA at the bench you end up with a 4 3/4" dispersionat 100 yards. If you start with a rifle that exhibits 2 MOA at the bench that same rifle delivers a 6" dispersion at 100 yards under field conditions. So accuracy is still relative.