Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
pistol grip or regular stock? >

pistol grip or regular stock?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

pistol grip or regular stock?

Old 03-29-2012, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default pistol grip or regular stock?

i have a pardner pump protector and will be using it for home defense as well as a hiking and camping gun and possibly a close range deer gun. i was thinking of putting a pistol grip on it as it would shorten it for hiking, but for home defense and deer hunting i don't know. what do ya'll think?, leave the factory stock on or put a pistol grip on. i know there are folding stocks too and that would give me both but they're more expensive. so would ya'll put a pistol grip on, leave it alone or put a folding stock thats got the pistol grip or regular stock choice? thanks
Old 03-30-2012, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO, a pistol grip for that weapon is not a good idea. I'd leave it alone.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:27 PM
Typical Buck

i wouldn't do a pistol grip unless this was a dedicated waist gun. I have a mossberg that i bought a pistol grip with adjustable stock for $55 on Amazon. you can get them, just go look. I didn't think that was too bad. Now the gun has a 5 position stock plus grip.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:37 PM
Spike

They have stocks that have the pistol grip and regular stock in one?
Old 03-30-2012, 06:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Pistol grips on a shotgun or worthless gimmicks. Leave them on the shelf where they belong.

Now, a pistol grip stock is a worthwhile investment.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

"Pistol grip shotgun" is latin for "miss a lot".

I can appreciate (and moderately agree) that having a shorter weapon is nice for hiking, but if you're looking for something that short, you need to invest in a quality folding stock, not ruin your shotgun to a worthless pistol grip. Folding stocks aren't great, but they are LEAPS and bounds ahead of a pistol grip alone. You have to be very careful with folding stocks, as many of them are just as worthless as a pistol grip, since the cheekweld is terrible.

I gotta agree, just leave it alone. A pistol grip stock (full length stock with a pistol grip) is bulkier than a standard stock, so it's actually kinda uncomfortable when you're hauling it around hiking. I do like full stocks with pistol grips for horizontal shooting (deer, turkey, coyotes, etc), but they ARE bulky for portage. Standard stock, and leave well enough alone.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:23 AM
Fork Horn

UPDATE: i couldn't decide on what to do as i wanted a pistol grip to take hiking and camping but needed a stock for deer hunting. my nephew solved my problem, i had a old winchester 22 that my nephew has wanted for a long time, he offered to get me another pardner pump plus my pistol grip and a pistol forgrip. i agreed so i now have a full stock deer shotgun and one with a hogue pistol grip and a tac star forgrip. i fired it yesterday and with field loads and reduced recoil buckshot it wasn't bad at all, i fired slugs it kicked pretty good, but the hogue grip seems to help with recoil. all in all i like it and i have a short 27.75 inch gun that i can just sling across my back, which is good i'm a short guy and a real long gun doesn't fit me well. thanks
Old 04-17-2012, 05:36 PM
Spike

IMO, a pistol grip for that weapon is not a good idea.