HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   slugs or buckshot for bear? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/361265-slugs-buckshot-bear.html)

boomer92266 03-28-2012 06:01 AM

slugs or buckshot for bear?

i just bought a pardner protector, and will be using it for home defense as well as a camping (hiking) gun. what would be the best for it in case i run up on a bear that decides to take me out? i'm gonna load buck shot for the home but don't know which would be best for bear. i live in kentucky and coyoties will be my major threat but those black bears sightings are starting to happen more often as well as wild hogs, so i waNT TO BE PREPARED. thanks

stalkingbear 03-28-2012 06:10 AM

If loading strictly for bear, I'd feel most comfortable with slugs. Coyotes don't require nowhere near as much power to put down. Any time I've shot a coyote out of a pack, the rest haul butt at the shot.

boomer92266 03-28-2012 06:21 AM

i have a heritage rough rider that i load with 22 magnum, that could be my coyotie stopper while i load slugs for the bear and hogs. i hope i don't run upon one and if i do i hope he keeps his distance, if he leaves me alone i'll respect his wishes and do the same.

Bocajnala 03-28-2012 09:33 AM

A black bear is not something to worry about. They have no interest in messing with you. That being said, I suppose slugs would be best. Although buckshot would deter one in a close range situation, and be easier to hit with. Really though, you're not going to have a problem with a black bear...
-jake

WV Hunter 03-28-2012 09:50 AM

I would agree that you prob won't have an issue with a bear. That said, for protection/defense....buckshot is a MUCH better option, imo. You aren't hunting...if there ever was a time you actually needed to use it, you likely won't have much time to aim. Plus, at close range buckshot is devastating...and would likely put down whatever it is you are shooting at. If not down, certainly slowed down big time or completely deterred. Panicking in the heat of the moment and missing with a slug...well that don't help much. My .02

BOWHUNTERCOP 03-28-2012 03:16 PM

slugs all the way

Wayspr 03-29-2012 02:58 AM

I think Ridge has it right. I'd load a slug followed by buck shot. If you are in a truly life threatening situation, it will be very close range and happen very fast.

Sheridan 03-29-2012 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Wayspr (Post 3925190)
I think Ridge has it right. I'd load a slug followed by buck shot. If you are in a truly life threatening situation, it will be very close range and happen very fast.

Same thinking here, so +2 or is it +3 :rolleye0011:

smokepole70 03-31-2012 04:55 AM

A black bear will be as scared as you are of it. Don't mess with cubs and all is well.

Bernie P. 03-31-2012 06:06 AM

Slugs without a doubt but I'd go with OO buck as backup.Lots of thick hair/muscle for smaller shot to get through IMO.