HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Tompson icon vs cz 550 american (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/360097-tompson-icon-vs-cz-550-american.html)

blacktored 03-11-2012 10:10 AM

Tompson icon vs cz 550 american

Considering one of these in 30/06 was wondering about the quality of CZ rifles these days.Im pretty familar with the Icon i would like to hear from CZ owners.Thanks in advance

homers brother 03-11-2012 03:45 PM

I have three CZs, one of them a 550. I don't own an Icon, so can't say that I can compare it objectively.

My first CZ was a 550 Varmint Laminated in .22-250. Easily a 1/2 MOA rifle to 300 yards. The 527 Varmint Laminated in .223 that I added later is even more accurate. I wasn't sure how well I'd like the single-set trigger, but it's grown on me. While the actions haven't been as "glass smooth" as my M700s have been, each of them have become much better with after a hundred or so rounds through them. Extra magazines aren't inexpensive, though I've not found it necessary yet to purchase spares. Classic Mauser action - you really can't go wrong.

I don't know much about the Icon, but if I were in the market for something in a CZ550 or an Icon, I wouldn't hesitate sticking with CZ.

Bernie P. 03-13-2012 06:27 AM

I have CZ's 527.I would not hesitate to buy their 550 but both are very good guns.

VAhuntr 03-14-2012 03:50 AM

I know you asked for CZ owners experiences but here is a pic from my Icon Weathershield in 308 Winchester shooting Barnes VorTx 168 grain TTSX's. Cleaned the bore and then fired this group. After the first shot I was a little concerned but then it settled down.

dylan_b 03-15-2012 10:47 AM

i just picked up a cz 550 lux .243 in january. im very happy with the fit and feel of the rifle but i havent been able to get a good load going for it yet. i havent exactly fired many loads but thus far ive used a barnes 62 varmit grenade with vihtavuori n550 from 40, 41, 42 and 43 grains also being loaded to 0.005, 0.010 and 0.015 off lands. ive also used n150 in 43, 44 and 45 grains at 0.010 off lands. the other bullet i used was the sierra blitz 80 grain with n150 in 35, 36 and 37 grains loaded to 0.005, 0.002, 0.010 and 0.015 off lands. the best so far has been 42 grains of n550 with the varmit grenade to 0.005 off lands yielding about 1 1/4 inch groups at 100.

i also tried some heavier deer hunting bullets but i put them on hold till i can get a good crow/varmit bullet going. a hornady 100 innerlock was actually very promising with just under moa in the only load i tried.

ive also got a bunch more loads loaded up in 58 v-max, 87 v-max, more blitz loads, more varmit grenade loads and a few others that i cant remember right now. the rifle has barely been shot so it might break in a little further. it is at least super consistent over the chrony.

all the load developement aside the rifle is great after a little bit of elbow grease. i bypassed the set option in the trigger and what i was left with is something that can rival the 40x trigger on my remy 700. with the guidance from a gunmith i used to work with, i was able to increase the extractor tension on the bolt making it much quieter to operate. i also beveled the magazine retention latch a little bit more so the mag just slips into the rifle with a positive snap. i polished over the bolt raceways making the bolt smoother to operate then most sako's. my gunsmith also polished the safety detents to make the operation of the safety latch quieter. he also touched up the checkering so that it doesnt look laser or machine cut like most others. the rifle after all this work feels like nothing that you could ever pull off the shelf. it may say cz on the side of the rifle but it defines what a true sporting mauser should be.

dylan_b 03-25-2012 03:10 PM

update on my cz550, cured the accuracy problem with the 58 moly v-max @ 3550fps with a consistent 5 shot sub moa grouping. it may not be the freaken amazing accuracy va hunter is getting but my fowling shot is within the sub moa group and my next 5 will also be sub moa. now i know that saying sub moa is no longer impressive in most forums but the consistancy to which i am getting sub moa with the new load is what has impressed me. i havent acutally tried it but im guessing i can keep 20-30 shots sub moa.

Sheridan 03-25-2012 03:58 PM

As the french say; "La differance" !

A cold clean barrel VS a warm dirty barrel.

IMO - Comes from proper barrel break-in.

VAhuntr 03-25-2012 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by dylan_b (Post 3924206)
update on my cz550, cured the accuracy problem with the 58 moly v-max @ 3550fps with a consistent 5 shot sub moa grouping. it may not be the freaken amazing accuracy va hunter is getting but my fowling shot is within the sub moa group and my next 5 will also be sub moa. now i know that saying sub moa is no longer impressive in most forums but the consistancy to which i am getting sub moa with the new load is what has impressed me. i havent acutally tried it but im guessing i can keep 20-30 shots sub moa.

Good to hear you got the rifle dialed in! I have not cleaned the Icon barrel since that time in the pic and it has been shooting great ever since. I probably won't touch it until the groups begin to open up.

VAhuntr 03-25-2012 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Sheridan (Post 3924222)
As the french say; "La differance" !

A cold clean barrel VS a warm dirty barrel.

IMO - Comes from proper barrel break-in.

You are probably right. At the time the pic was taken the rifle probably had 25 rounds or less down the tube.