Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Hello from Cave Creek >

Hello from Cave Creek

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hello from Cave Creek

Old 03-11-2012, 10:07 AM
Spike

Default Hello from Cave Creek

Well, this is my first post on here...I love to hunt and love rifles, especially the "long poke"...I just finished this Winchester M70 in hand painted sitka optifade open country...let me know what you think.

Winchester M70 featherwieght 7-08 wearing a loopy VX-3 4.5-14x 40

Old 03-11-2012, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by carnimore
..let me know what you think.
I hope you plan on doing something with the stock. I think it looks pretty silly like it is. I have never been a fan of camo guns but one with the barrel and the scope camo and a brown wood stock, looks silly. JMO

Sorry, but you asked.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:10 PM
Spike

wow, you guys are rough...yep, I like the "long poke" even with my featherwieght...it is a hunting rifle and perfectly capable at taking game at 1/4 mile ( 7-08 ), half minute with the 140 bergers. As for the stock...well, think it's silly all you want, I don't want to paint that wood...maybe I'll restock it someday and then everything will be alright with the world.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by carnimore
wow, you guys are rough...yep, I like the "long poke" even with my featherwieght...
Sorry but you asked.

If you want some good pointers on hunting game at long range, Ridge Runner is the guy to ask. He is one of the best at extreme long range hunting that I know of.

Welcome to the forum. I saw you posted on Predator Masters also.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:35 AM
Spike

thanks for the welcome...pointers for hunting game at long range was not the reason for the post...I shoot 500 rds a week and am pretty confident in my abilities to connect when I pull the switch...The post was about the hand painted sitka open country, a camo that is not available very many places...

If I have a long range question, I will be sure to ask it.

Thanks.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hello from Cave Creek
Would this be Cave Creek in Arizona? If so I am just down the road from you about a mile from Ben Avery as the crow flies.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:16 PM
Spike

yes sir, I am just west of the rec area...I am at BASF every sat.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

The camo looks great I think, good job! Wood stock with it does look goofy, but oh well. And BTW, 1/4 mile isn't a "long poke" to LR guys...RR prolly zero's his rifles at that distance
Old 03-20-2012, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am at BASF every sat.
So are a lot more people now that Table Mesa Road has been shut down to shooters.

You know about the lawsuit and why they no longer have the rests and carpets at BASF? I guess the previous range safety officers sued for lead poisoning due to the lead that was in those carpets. So the carpets and carpet covered rests were taken away for safety reasons. Now we get to haul one more thing to the range!

If you ever see someone at BASF shooting a flintlock there is a good chance it will be me.

Welcome to HNI!
Old 03-20-2012, 07:08 PM
Spike

Robert, it was the EPA, came in and tested the carpets and blocks...said they were contaminated and needed to go...I will keep my eyes open for the flintlock.

Jeepkid, 440 yds is a long poke no matter how you look at it when you are hunting and most of us LR guys zero out rifles at 100 yards...That winny featherwieght isn't one of my LR rigs, but I wouldn't hesitate to use that caliber and rifle on big game out to 400.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.