Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Hello from Cave Creek >

Hello from Cave Creek

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hello from Cave Creek

Old 03-21-2012, 07:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

What RR said above. And btw, I zero mine at 300.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:42 AM
Spike

you guys are awesome.... long range for a red ryder bb gun is 125 yds, for a 22 lr I'd say 300, guess it all depends on what caliber, gun. scope combo your useing and what you are hunting...paper or game. With my bow 80 yds is long range. I stated that I like the long poke...that means that I like to stretch it out with anything that I am useing. My longest coyote kill is 365 yds, my longest deer kill is just over 200 and my longest pig kill is at 150, my longest ground squirrel kill at just under 500 yds. but I punch paper and steel out to 800. So, I guess without sounding like I am trying to start an arguement, the long poke is purely subjective and depends upon alot of variables, for me, any shot past 300 on game is a long shot.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:45 AM
Spike

Talking

Hey RR, to clear it up, I wasn't referring to the featherwieght as a long range rig, just merely introducing myself....if I wear a t-shirt with a pic of a burger on it, I can still have pizza in the oven.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by carnimore
you guys are awesome.... long range for a red ryder bb gun is 125 yds, for a 22 lr I'd say 300, guess it all depends on what caliber, gun. scope combo your useing and what you are hunting...paper or game. With my bow 80 yds is long range. I stated that I like the long poke...that means that I like to stretch it out with anything that I am useing. My longest coyote kill is 365 yds, my longest deer kill is just over 200 and my longest pig kill is at 150, my longest ground squirrel kill at just under 500 yds. but I punch paper and steel out to 800. So, I guess without sounding like I am trying to start an arguement, the long poke is purely subjective and depends upon alot of variables, for me, any shot past 300 on game is a long shot.
Purely subjective for sure. I finally whacked a doe last year at 475 with my .243 AI and that to me wasn't quite "long" range yet and to RR it would be considered a "chip shot". It was actually pretty simple since it was dead calm tho. It's all fun no matter what the distance
Old 03-24-2012, 01:54 PM
Spike

Thanks for the welcome guys...here is one of my "longer range" dog whackers that I have been playing with.

6mm DTI wearing a 3.5x15 NXS

this is one of it's favorite loads ...75 sierra hp with H4895. 5 shots at 100 yds
Old 03-24-2012, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the board carnimore, good looking groups there.
-Jake
Old 03-24-2012, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by carnimore
wow, you guys are rough...yep, I like the "long poke" even with my featherwieght...it is a hunting rifle and perfectly capable at taking game at 1/4 mile ( 7-08 ), half minute with the 140 bergers. As for the stock...well, think it's silly all you want, I don't want to paint that wood...maybe I'll restock it someday and then everything will be alright with the world.
1/4mi is a chip shot. We shoot regularly at 1K yds with our 308's and then go to 1500 yds with our .338's. And with a taper weight/sporter weight barrel is not what most consider a "Long Poke" weapon. Good job on the camo job. Just need to change the wood out for either lami or go synth. Good enough glass to carry the job out to 1K though. Welcome aboard all the same!!!
Old 03-29-2012, 05:34 AM
Spike

Yes, he certainly does...and thanks for the camopliment.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:08 PM
Spike

The digital army camo looks sick! I wanna get a gun done like that.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:26 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Sluggunhunter
The digital army camo looks sick! I wanna get a gun done like that.
Just finished duracoating a build of mine, I call it a digital grass.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.