Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
The old cartridges >

The old cartridges

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

The old cartridges

Old 03-06-2012, 07:51 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Murdy
I've got an old pump .30 Remington that I inherited from my granddad. I believe it was manufactured around 1900. Grew up deer hunting with it. Went through a period when I couldn't find ammo, but now I've run across a few sources.
I've got a Lee-Remington chambered in 30-40Krag that was my Grandpa's. I think the original load for that round was 30-40-220 (30 cal, 40gr smokeless powder, 220 grain bullet). So I loaded some Sierra 220gr Roundnose bullets on top of 40grains of H4831, and this past fall, my brother became the 3 generation of my family to harvest a buck with this gun.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:51 AM
Typical Buck

It IS pretty amazing how over the last half century or so all the worlds animals from mice to moose have become so much tougher and armor plated!

I've gotta safe full of rifles and now that I own a "swamp" my days of needing superdooper crossfield woopers are gone. My oldest son will be getting a 45-70 Henry as soon as they are released. I will mainly use my grandpa's old 35 Marlin this fall (stoked full of Buffalo Bore's 220 heavies) as well and after I see how my sons Henry performs I might very well get one myself nextyear! Honestly I have a hankering for a Marlin 1894 with a 20" octagaonal barrel in 45LC loaded with Buffalo Bore's extra stout!!!

NOTHING drops game like a near half inch diameter chunk of metal penetrating its way through ANYTHING in it's path!
HL
Old 03-08-2012, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by HatchieLuvr
I have a hankering for a Marlin 1894 with a 20" octagaonal barrel in 45LC loaded with Buffalo Bore's extra stout!!!
Unless you're interested in paying "collectors price" for a used one, I'd say find one and buy it in a hurry, or forget about ever getting a Marlin 1894 Cowboy (the hexagonal barreled 1894 in .45lc that you're referring to). Part of the Marlington take over was the discontinuation of the 1894 Cowboys. Maybe they'll bring them back in the future, but according to Marlin about 4months ago, these are out of the catalog and aren't on the production list for any foreseeable future.

Kinda sad. Hopefully some of my fellow cowboy action shooting enthusiasts will raise their voices and encourage Remington to bring them back, but that's not the buzz I'm hearing.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:38 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Bronko do you need a 44-40 long gun, I might have 1 that might be going up for sale.