HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Model 70 conversion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/357702-model-70-conversion.html)

westtexducks 01-26-2012 11:43 AM

Model 70 conversion

Okay so I have a model 70 currently chambered for .270 and I am seriously starting to think about converting it over to .300 wm and turning it into a long range precision rifle. What would be the expected cost of having it converted and putting a match grade barrel on, and then getting the accurizing of the rifle done?

Also what would it cost to have a barrel put on my model 70 and keeping it chambered for .270 and getting it souped up with bedding and lapping the bolt face, and other accurizing processes to turn it into a long range shooter? I know I am going to need to dump around 1000 for just optics but what about the rifle?

Also would the .270 be a feasible long range elk cartridge with the right bullets loaded up? And by long range I mean 800 yards and under. Now I know many say sniping an elk from 800 is not sporting but if I am paying for the tag and the opportunity to smack one at 800 is the only way not to eat tag soup then I am going to smack it.

And I fully understand the concept of PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, so no preaching about the practice part. I fully intend to practice.:s2:

Now this will not be something that will happen over night, but I am figuring on getting the work done in 2 to 3 years.

Sorry for the long read guys and thanks in advance for any help.

salukipv1 01-26-2012 12:11 PM

not sure how easy or if possible it would be to open up the bolt face from .270win to .300win.mag?? or did you mean .300 weatherby?

800yds makes me think of BC's, so perhaps a 7mm STW would make more sense? I do like .30cals though.

I always thought a full length .284 win type case/cartridge would be great for this sorta conversion... ie using the same 270 bolt face diameter but a fatter case of the 284 but rather than a short action it would be a long action.

I found my own answer/kinda! 9.3x66 aka 370 sako, I wonder if this case has been wildcatted to 7mm? if so this would probably do the job I looked it up/compared case volume.... 66.7 vs. 76.0 that's like 15% more volume! with the same bolt face size!

the best conversion might be from .270win to .280 rem AI?? best/possible, at least if using same bolt face dia.

westtexducks 01-26-2012 05:29 PM

Thank you Ridge Runner that is exactly what I was looking for. So I would be looking at around 3000 or so to get the conversion done. This sounds very doable in the future. And I see your reasoning behind getting a .308 to burn out before getting the conversion done, it is a very sound point and will be considered. But I think I may all ready have the solution to that problem in a Colt H-Bar .223. What do you think for learning the ropes with that until I can get the conversion done?

Also I have shot at 400 500 and 600 off of a bench and hit every thing I shot at except for the first one (but that was figuring out the kentucky windage on the rifle since it was a club gun and I was not allowed to adjust the sights). I am a pretty good shot and have shot the NRA Highpower AR match a few times and did pretty good for shooting a S&W carbine with a 16 inch barrel and 55 gr bullets. So I do have some experience but I will definitely heed your advice and start shooting the heck out of that AR when I have the time.

jeepkid 01-26-2012 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner (Post 3905378)
Now for my advice on the matter, buy you a good 308, learn how to shoot at extended range before buying or building a super duper magnum and wasteing a premieum barrel learning how to use it.
RR

Or even just bed the .270, put a NF or Mark4 on it and use it for a while. Then put the scope on the new rifle and he'll already know the ropes with it...

Could also just buy a Sendero and call it good...

stapher1 01-26-2012 06:09 PM

You can use a shilen stainless match which are going for $210 or the select match for $255 for pre-contoured barrels. And the SS match isn't really necessary unless your a seasoned competition shooter. I got 3 shilens and all of them perform beyond what i thought they would. I asked guys with far more knowledge than i could hope to know and none tried to talk me out of buying a shilen, the only thing they said is the biggest difference using a different barrel was possibly longer barrel life.

Gunsmithing prices can vary, My 'smith only charged me $125 to go from small to standard bolt face (.223 to 308) and install a sako extractor.
To build my 6mmbr his prices were:
Blueprint action : $150.00
Chamber and crown: $185.00
Open bolt face & Sako extractor: $125.00
Shilen SS Match Barrel: $255

You could buy a Bell & Carlson or HS Precision stock, then just have it glass bedded. Add a trigger job or replace it, whatever you like.

jeepkid 01-26-2012 07:20 PM

Oh come on James! We all know you punched those holes in with a stick! haha! That target still amazes me every time I see it, good shooting!!!

westtexducks 01-26-2012 08:18 PM

MY COW that has to be the definition of a perfect 750 yard target. Man that is impressive that you can do that with a rifle. Just out of curiosity what would the MOA on that group be? Would that be a negative MOA?

By the way who would you suggest do the work on my rifle? I am new to this custom gun building realm and am wanting to learn everything possible.

jeepkid 01-27-2012 07:19 PM

I've talked to Nate and Kevin, both are great guys with excellent reputations. I had Karl Feldkamp (Kampfeld Customs) do my last build, also a top notch smith. My local guy is getting all my work from now on though.