Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Anyone here own a Savage Arms rifle? >

Anyone here own a Savage Arms rifle?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Anyone here own a Savage Arms rifle?

Old 01-25-2012, 04:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default Anyone here own a Savage Arms rifle?

I have been in the market for a new rife for about a year and was leaning towards an AR15. I have been hunting whitetail for about 10 years and just recently got into predator hunting. I hunt South/Central and Central Missouri so it's a little of all terrain. We have the hills, thick and thin woods, open and farm fields, etc. I have been doing my fair share of research lately and I am leaning towards a Savage Arms Axis (.243). Does anybody have one of these? Or just a Savage in general? How do they shoot? How's the customer service? Or does anybody have any other suggestions?
Old 01-25-2012, 05:05 PM
Spike

Savage makes great guns that shoot,i have two 116 and both are sub moa easily.I do not however care for the axis its junk and they cut too many corners.Upgrade to a better model and get one with the accutrigger.Savages customer service is excellent good luck.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

You will have to look very hard to come up with someone on this forum; well I should say any forum that would say anything really bad about a Savage. Yes everybody has their favorites mine is Sako or Weatherby but I do have a Savage and It is a great gun.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a deep and abiding love of Rugers. Though I do have a savage .22 LR bolt. I love that little gun.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Savage Weather Warrior

Accutrigger & accustock

Hard to beat for the money IMO !
Old 01-26-2012, 02:22 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by mw_Guerilla
I have been in the market for a new rife for about a year and was leaning towards an AR15. I have been hunting whitetail for about 10 years and just recently got into predator hunting. I hunt South/Central and Central Missouri so it's a little of all terrain. We have the hills, thick and thin woods, open and farm fields, etc. I have been doing my fair share of research lately and I am leaning towards a Savage Arms Axis (.243). Does anybody have one of these? Or just a Savage in general? How do they shoot? How's the customer service? Or does anybody have any other suggestions?
I have 4 Savages at this time. They are among the most accurate rifles I have ever owned. As a matter of fact, my 10FP in .308 is the most accurate I have ever owned.
Back to your question. I would stay away from the Axis. Not up to the quality level I expect from Savage.
I would go with the Stevens 200 instead. I have one in .243, and if it doesn't shoot less than MOA groups at 100 yards, it's my fault. My handloads are much closer to 1/2" groups.
Hope this helps
Old 01-27-2012, 08:54 AM
Fork Horn

Pretty much been covered already, but they are great rifles, with amazing customer support. The only thing I'd do is skip the Axis/Edge, and go for the 10/110 package deal at Walmart for right under $400 with a cheap scope and the accu trigger. IMO it's worth the little bit extra for the better gun, and the accu trigger. Everyone of these I've seen shoots well under 1" groups at 100 yards with factory ammo, and I've seen some shoot under .5" groups with handloads. They are great guns.

Here is a post I made a while back explaining my experience with their customer service.
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns...r-service.html
Old 01-27-2012, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Savage 110 30-06 with the accu trigger. It is a very accurate gun and is well worth the money.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:42 PM
Typical Buck

X2 on the Stevens 200. Love the one I have.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:15 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Savage Weather Warrior

Accutrigger & accustock

Hard to beat for the money IMO !
I agree 100%

I have a friend with an axis. it is what it is an entry level gun. However it is still a shooter! If your looking for something that is more of an entry level price with alot of aftermarket support I would took a good look at the stevens 200 like previously mentioned. Good luck with your decision!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.