Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Anyone here own a Savage Arms rifle? >

Anyone here own a Savage Arms rifle?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Anyone here own a Savage Arms rifle?

Old 02-01-2012, 02:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

To each their own. I have 3 Savage rifles with the Accutrigger and absolutely DO NOT like them. I rarely use these rifles, but as they were gifts I can't get rid of them.

The extra reach to depress the lever on the Accutrigger feels odd to me, and repositioning the finger on the trigger does not feel right to me either. However, after the silly lever is depressed the trigger is very good.

I have a couple older Savages without the Accutrigger that I hunt with occasionally. They were my Grandfather's rifles and deserve to be taken into the woods.

The rifles shoot OK on the bench, and some guys love the the Accutrigger. It is all personal preference.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have an older Savage 110 chambered in .308 from late 1997 (according to the serial number and calling Savage direct). Back then Savage was facing Chapter 11, so they did whatever necessary to save money. They made the 110 model, but chambered it in many different calibers. For the short actions, they installed a "block" thingamajig behind the internal magazine, and kept using the same long action body style.

Here's mine complete with a nice Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40 scope.

It's a sweet rifle, deadly accurate, and I love it! Plus, the .308 ammo is readily available anywhere and doesn't cost much.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

A Friend of mine bought a Savage Edge/Axis 2 or 3 years ago when they first came out and were called the Edge,we took his to the Shooting Range and sighted it in,personally I felt it was a very nice Rifle that was affordable for someone starting out in Hunting,he got the Camo Package with the Bushnell 3X9X40mm scope which is usually the same scope they have on the re-named Savage Axis Rifle.

Personally I was seriously thinking about getting the same Savage Axis Camo scope package in a .223 for Varmint/Coyote Hunting,You can get a lighter bullet and it will easier on the Hides/Fur when shooting Coyotes,Foxes or Bobcats.

As mentioned earlier...if You can afford it the Savage Model 11/111 Light Weight Hunter with the Accu-trigger is going to be a better Rifle in the long run.

I have a Savage Model 11 GCNS Bolt-action 7mm-08 Rifle with the Accu-trigger and love it,great looking Rifle and very accurate!

Another Friend of mine bought the black Synthetic Stock Axis with the Bushnell Scope in a .223 and He is thrilled with it also.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Old 02-03-2012, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

The accutrigger does take some getting acustomed to but I like it.