Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Anyone here own a Savage Arms rifle? >

Anyone here own a Savage Arms rifle?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Anyone here own a Savage Arms rifle?

Old 01-27-2012, 08:53 PM
Spike

I absolutely love shooting a Savage, most accurate rifles ever imo. I haven't owned one in years, but I've had my eye on a 24v for a while now. Nothing beats a multi-purpose firearm like this http://tinyurl.com/Savage-24-specs.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Savage makes some fine guns.I have their MKII-BV .22 Lr.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:51 AM
Typical Buck

The reviews I have read on the axis really are not that bad. Pretty light gun though. Not sure how bad the recoil would be in a larger caliber. If you get one, let us know how you like it. I was considering one for my son in 243. This year will be his 1st year hunting. Out here in Montana you have to be at least 12 years old to buy a hunting license.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter
I have a deep and abiding love of Rugers. Though I do have a savage .22 LR bolt. I love that little gun.
I have a Revelation .22 LR bolt action (tube mag) made by Savage for Western Auto. Very accurate rifle. My son loves it but I haven't come to a point where I will give it to him like I did my 20 gauge Remington Model 870 Wingmaster that I got in 1971. He will have to wait a little longer and just be content to be able to shoot it for now.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:34 PM
Spike

Default If you're not convinced yet...

You should definately check out this video. The bit about the Axis is towards the end, about 10:30. I've read a lot of criticism of the Axis, but never an actual -review- that said anything bad about it. And most of the criticism seems to be along the lines of "weld points look a little rough" or "corners were cut during manufacturing." As the rep says in the video, Savage didn't want a cheap gun, but "a manufacturable gun." It seems to me the criticism is mostly about cosmetics, not functionality/performance/features, so if you want, as they say in the video "a lot of gun for the money", the Axis seems about right, especially with that kind of price tag, and of course either way, I swear by Savage, and I've never needed them, but I hear their customer support is among the best.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:23 AM
Spike

I bought a Savage Axis XP Camo w/ in a scope package in .308 Win 2 weeks ago. Before purchasing the rifle, I notice the trigger pull was very hard, not so much in pounds to pull it, but stiffness. The sales kid assured me that it would not be a problem so I purchased it despite my hesitation.

I was finally able to take her out a put a few down the barrel yesterday. The scope does not have a name on nor does the website mention who the maker is.

This is both my 1st big caliber rifle (previously have only fired 5.7 and 5.56) and bolt rifle.
It is also the 1st time I have ever shot a 3 round group all within a 1/2 inch diameter at 100yds.

I LOVE THIS RIFLE!.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:08 AM
Spike

Default Savage/Stevens Rifles?

I have seven Savage/Stevens rifles all of which shoot sub-MOA. Beyond the excellence of the out-of-the-box accuracy The Savage/Stevens actions are an excellent platform for the "poorboy custom". I have the following built on the Savage/Stevens action:
220 Swift Varmint weight
243 win. Varmint weight
250/3000 Sporter weight
250 Ackley Improved Sporter weight
257 Roberts Sporter weight
With the Axis these would not be possible. It is for this reason I don't own an Axis and can't comment on its quality.
Go Stevens and never look back.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!!!
Old 01-30-2012, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a model 10 in 308. Just had a new barrel put on chambered in a round that is legal in Indiana for deer, called 358 Hoosier. Picking it up soon. Anyway, the 308 shot great. The gun would't win any beauty contests, but the deer don't care either way.

Looking forward to reloading and some range time with the 358.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:05 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
The gun would't win any beauty contests, but the deer don't care either way.
Haha, priceless.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:11 PM
Spike

I own three Savages. All Accu-trigger models. Good rifles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.