Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
My friend's wife FOUND a rifle. >

My friend's wife FOUND a rifle.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

My friend's wife FOUND a rifle.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:15 PM
Spike

Default My friend's wife FOUND a rifle.

I taught my friend the fine art of dumpster diving, so I take partial credit for this find... but that's a whole other post. Anyway, my friend's wife and daughters were on the way to their store the other day, and past a junk pile on the curb in front of a house. They said it was full of junk and the house looked like it had been abandoned. What caught their eye was a rifle case on the pile, so they stopped to grab it for my friend. What a surprise to find a rifle in the case! They were freaked out at first, but ended up taking it to a gunsmith friend of theirs. He said it was in perfect mechanical condition, and even had a nice scope on it. He said it looked like it was build from a kit, and had no apparent manufacturer. They then took the rifle to the local police, and they could find no evidence that it was stolen or used in a crime. So my friend got. Sniper rifle with a scope under the tree today, all from a quick stop to a junk pile. I've found a lot of great stuff in junk piles...but never a gun!

Last edited by LBR; 01-13-2012 at 06:09 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:36 AM
Typical Buck

Something smells like a rat! People just don't throw away guns.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lol, truth or not, it's a good story, although a little vague on what model of rifle it is ("sniper rifle" is pretty general, and pretty faux pax for what it's worth).

As far as FINDING rifles goes, if anyone happens to stumble upon a Marlin 60 along a creek in central KS, my dad has lost 3 of them over the last 20yrs! He'll set them down to skin a coon, or take a leak, then forgets to pick them up and walks on to catch up with the dogs. I told him I'm gonna get him a tactical tether so he CAN'T leave them behind anymore, lol.

We actually DID get one of them back. One of the farmer's kids found it while squirrel hunting that spring, then 6mos later when we called and asked for permission again (annually), the farmer realized "oh, so that's probably YOUR rifle!". My dad had already bought a new one, but the old one meant more to him, so he traded the kid a brand new Marlin 60 for his 30yr old one.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:09 PM
Typical Buck

Disgruntaled wife getting rid of the ex's stuff just for spite.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:48 PM
Typical Buck

You guys do know this is spam right? lol. The link to some crazy junk looking sniper rifle that QVC would sell was in his post but has been deleted. They had it hidden in there with the word rifle underlined. Why the mods wouldn't just delete the entire post I don't know?
Old 01-17-2012, 02:36 PM
Fork Horn

I came a little late to find the hidden link but I think that would be considered theft not a cool find.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Theft? Not if it's out for trash.
-Jake
Old 01-17-2012, 06:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah the original was spam but I once picked up a Craftsman chain saw from my next door neighbors trash pile on his curb. I assume he threw it away because it wouldn't start so I pulled the carb off and the gas line had a little piece of wood in it blocking the fuel. I took a few minutes to clean it out and started right up.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

I've gotten lots and lots and lots of good deals from the curb. Too many to list. Never a rifle though.
-Jake
Old 01-18-2012, 08:45 AM
Spike

Haha, my cousin hauls trash for a living, and has found, a gun, trolling motors, tools. He's the richest man I know right now! He has more trash at his house worth more than the purchases I have to buy.