Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
.22LR Birdshot Ammo >

.22LR Birdshot Ammo

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.22LR Birdshot Ammo

Old 01-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Spike

Post .22LR Birdshot Ammo

Has anyone tried the CCI Birdshot ammo i currently own a marlin 795 with a 4x32 scope and wanted to try the ammo any, suggestions?
By the way im new
Old 01-01-2012, 02:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Have some .44mag ammo, I call it snakeloads...

I forget how much the .22lr holds, but I was surprised how much, I think it's #11 or #9 shot??

for snakes it would probably work, what's the use? I don't think for birds... maybe a squirrel in a treestand... or snakes... that's about it...

Probably won't cycle a semi-auto...
Old 01-01-2012, 03:41 PM
Typical Buck

The .22 LR bird shot is only good for killing song birds and really small snakes. Ones that don't scare most people.

For other calibers the bird shot ammo works as intended, but the .22 LR version just lacks the power to be effective.

I know from experience.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Sfury
The .22 LR bird shot is only good for killing song birds and really small snakes. Ones that don't scare most people.

For other calibers the bird shot ammo works as intended, but the .22 LR version just lacks the power to be effective.

I know from experience.
All snakes are scary esp the small ones! haha.

I actually think I'd rather bump into an anaconda than a 3' rattler...
Old 01-01-2012, 04:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Be careful, I understand that shot can ruin the rifleing in the barrel.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

The shot in them is soft enough that it won't hurt the barrel, but about all they're good for is killing a mouse or chipmonk at close range around camp that is being a PITA!!!
Old 01-01-2012, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

22 Birdshot in a regular rifle won't be worth a crap over bout 5 feet because of the rifling. It destroys the pattern.
I have an old Remington pump that was used in the late 60's to 70's for Mo Skeet. Those are minature clay targets and were shot with the old crimped 22 birdshot. The rifle has an actual choke in it and looks like a 410 from the muzzle. It REALLY wacks a rat or snake within 15 feet with either the crimped or really sings with the CCI loads.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:48 AM
Fork Horn

Really not good for much.ive seen it kill mice. But much bigger is useless. It just burns ferral dogs @20feet. Poped the same one three days in a row never left a mark on him. I took a round of it at point blank range from a derranger to the finger(long story) and it took some skin &meat off but didnt hurt the bone. I keep a rifle loaded withit for mice&small rats indoors but isny good for nothing else.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Waste of money.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

If one can find an old rimfire rifle with a smoothbore (yes....they were made) the #12 shot will provide a better performance than anyone has listed here. They Are fine to killing small critters such as barn pigeons at ranges to 25 feet and don't hurt the wood parts of the building.

If one is really interested he can also take an old single shot rimfire and ream the rifling from it using a .224 diameter chucking reamer.

Using the right rifle makes the little birdshot round a very impressive round.....assuming you're easily impressed!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.