Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Kimber Rifles >

Kimber Rifles

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Kimber Rifles

Old 08-19-2003, 09:41 AM
bigcountry

Default Kimber Rifles

You know, I have yet to meet someone with a kimber rifle besides a 22. But while reading about these guns, they seem to have what I am looking for in a rifle. I was thinking about those 8400 series in a 270WSM. Its about 6lbs 10oz, has the three position safety, controlled round feeding made for the WSM, aluminum pillars and freefloated.

Has anyone ever dealt with these guns?

Old 08-19-2003, 09:53 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Kimber Rifles

should be great. not going to be released till the beginning of next year. they will not be sent with test targets like the .22' s but rest asured they will be tack drivers.
i have respect for kimbers quality.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:39 PM

I had a set of the old Kimbers in a 22 LR, 22 Mag, and .222 Rem. All three were extremely well made rifles. I' m not sure how the new Kimbers will compare to the older rifles though.
Old 08-19-2003, 03:18 PM
bigcountry

that sure was a pretty piece of lumber they have wrapped around that superamerica version. I am real sucker for a nice piece of walnut. Too bad, I destroy every wood stock I get.

Old 08-19-2003, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve never owned a Kimber but all that I have seen are very well finished and every owner I talk to is very happy with them. Accuracy is superberb.
Old 08-20-2003, 08:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don' t know about the new ones, but a hunting buddy has two- a .416 Rigby and a .375 H&H!! They' re superb!!
Old 08-20-2003, 09:16 AM
bigcountry

What I was thinking is, when I get a 700 or mod70, I have to take to gunsmith anyway. Have the trigger adjusted, usually aluminum pillars installed and the channel cleared. If it comes that way from kimber, as they say it they do, then its worth the 950 dollar price. You will pay 650 dollars for a rifle. Cost around 120 dollars for aluminum pillars, and another 80 for misc adjustments. Its worth it for me not to have to worry about taking to a gunsmith.

Old 08-20-2003, 10:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bigcountry, have been looking at the new ones myself . I thought the 8400m was a little lighter then 6 3/4lbs though...stock is supposed to be designed by ole Melvin Forbes and it sounds like a quality outfit. Certainly the walnut stocked models are beautiful and point like a fine shotgun. Certainly a better buy than a comparable Remington Custom Shop KS for instance and hundreds less. I am not a fan of ultralightweight rifles especially in mountain hunting situations though and feel it is better to carry the extra pounds in a tradeoff for stability in a potential shooting situation. It really is not a fair comparism comparing these Kimbers and the Old Kimbers they only share the name IMHO.