Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Selecting a 17 HMR Rifle >

Selecting a 17 HMR Rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Selecting a 17 HMR Rifle

Old 12-28-2011, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

A few makers put out .17HMR semiautos when the 17 came out, but they've all been pulled off the shelves (years ago now) for safety issues. Most makers were converting their .22mag platform over to .17hmr, but the higher pressure 17's weren't very happy about reaching peak pressure in blowback actions, so there were tons of reported case failures. By the time you stiffened the springs to hold them in battery long enough to surpass the pressure peak, they were too stiff to cycle properly, so they've all been pulled.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:23 PM
Typical Buck

I've owned three and shot many more. I'll give you my opinions.

Henry - first one I owned was a golden boy. For just straight target practice it makes a good little plinker. But for hunting I just didn't like it. The swing of the action was too long and the brass showed its self off in the light. The one thing you did have with the henry was a quick follow up show when you needed one.

Savage 93 series - My favorite 17 hmr was a savage 93 with a thumbhole stock and it came with a lupold 4-9x 40 scope. This little rifle would hit nickles at 150 yards. I killed many squirrels with it out to about that same range. The Accu-trigger system helps make your shots precise.

Marlin - Marlin makes a great firearm. I had a Marlin. The one remark that I can make is that it is a solid gun.

Ruger - I haven't had any experience with the ruger but have had other rifles made by ruger. They're good guns but whether they're worth the extra that you will pay for the ruger name is up to the individual buyer.

If I had to pick one i would go back to the savage. I think its the accu trigger system that makes it the clear winner.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:22 PM
Spike

I have a Henry varment express........awesome rifle! Never leave home in the ranch truck without it! .17 HMR is a fast hard hitting round safe around livestock because it comes apart and a richoet is not as common in the 17 as it is in a 22 Lr or 22 mag. Down side is wind messes with the 17 and it wont punch through the grass or brush like a 22mag or 22Lr.....the speed and the safe factor of the 17 out weighs the lack of a heavy bullet in my application!
Old 01-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Typical Buck

Mine is a Savage 93...accu-trigger, bull-barrel...tack driving monster! Luv it!
Old 01-03-2012, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

One thing about buying a Rifle You need to think about what Game Your using it for and do You plan on carrying it a long ways or will You shoot off a bench or use a Bi-pod or some type of shooting stick?If You go with a Bull Barrel it will probably shoot tighter groups but can the Hunter pack a 8lb Gun plus the weight of the rings,scope and sling on the Rifle and shoot it from a standing position if need be?

So be sure to check the weight of what Rifle Your looking to buy and what size Varmints/Predators You plan on shooting?

There is a Rim-Fire .17 HMR and if I'm correct a Center-Fire .17 HMR,I'm thinking the Center-Fire .17 will carry further and have more knock-down power....and ammo will cost more.

Don't leave out the CZ-USA Rifles,Model 527 American or the heavy barrel "Varmint" they are very well made and accurate.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

The .17 centerfire is the .17 Remington.

http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.17remington.html

The .17 HMR is a rimfire

http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm....es.html#17-hmr
Old 02-12-2012, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Anybody have a CZ rimfire with a .17 HMR barrel?