Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Lead Sled Solo >

Lead Sled Solo

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Lead Sled Solo

Old 12-26-2011, 03:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default Lead Sled Solo

I just received a Lead Sled Solo for Christmas, and I was wondering if anyone has used one before and what they thought of it? Also do you need to add weight to it or can you shoot as is?
Old 12-26-2011, 04:37 PM
Spike

I've got a Lead Sled Plus, which is about the same thing. They are great tools to really get your rifle dialed in. I put some weight on it no matter what rifle I'm shooting so I can remove as much shooter error as possible. One thing I try not to fall into is shooting with it all the time.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:47 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the input. I definitely think it is going to be tempting to shoot with it all the time (tiny groups are seductive), but I plan to use it like you describe - get my rifles dialed in. Then at least I know if I miss its probably my fault.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:54 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I have a Lead Sled Plus I just got. I really like it and it helped me dial in my inline.........and I plan on using it to let the grand kids shoot. No recoil!

I weight mine down with 30 lbs as I want no movement.

JW
Old 12-26-2011, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

The solo is a great rest. I especially like how there's room to work a lever action without any interference, I've shot some amazing groups with my Marlin 336SS. It also works great with my son's AR-15 and 30 round mags. I use a 25lb bag of lead shot to cut down on recoil and it makes a huge difference. A bag of lead works the best, but even a bag of sand would cut recoil. Remember that if there is interference between the strap and the rear sight, the front rest can be rotated 180* so you don't damage the sight.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:53 PM
Typical Buck

Be careful as people have cracked their stocks using a Lead Sled or similar product where the butt of the long gun is against a solid object.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:31 AM
Fork Horn

I bought a lead sled a couple of years ago. I used it with all my guns to make sure they were dialed in correctly and, since then, have just used sand bags. I used it with and without weight. The cracked stocks have mostly happened with the heavier guns. The biggest gun I used it with was my Wby 270 Mag and it did not crack the stock. Cheers/bg
Old 12-27-2011, 08:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

As country1 stated, it's not good to have no movement because when you get into the heavier recoiling calibers the recoil can damage the stock (especially a wood one), scope, rings, screws, etc. Wherever there's an action there's an equal and opposite reaction. Your shoulder moves so that reaction is dissipated, but when in a weighted down sled something has to give and eventually something is going to break when shooting a heavier caliber firearm on one.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by country1
Be careful as people have cracked their stocks using a Lead Sled or similar product where the butt of the long gun is against a solid object.
Not a problem with the Solo. It only uses 1 bag of shot maximum, and the front will come up off the bench when you shoot. Also the cradle is mounted to the base using a stout spring which acts as a shock absorber.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:02 PM
Typical Buck

Topgun & Country1 - have either of you had a stock split or scope break while using a lead sled? Or is that just what you have heard? The reason I ask is that since reading up further on it I have heard others say you can crack stocks/ruin scopes, however they are often shouted down by others that say its nothing but an old wives tale.

Also like Centaur stated there is a heavy duty spring which would allow the rest to give a little, soaking up the recoil, and hopefully not transferring it all into the stock.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.