Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
weatherby or savage >

weatherby or savage

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

weatherby or savage

Old 12-23-2011, 03:42 PM
Spike

The Weatherby Vanguard barreled action is made by HOWA... I have a Savage 110 in 25-06 and it will print sub MOA at 100 with the accutrigger and federal premium sierra gamekings... I don't have a Weatherby or a HOWA, but other than the accuracy, I'm not a big fan of my Savage... Don't care for the safety on the savage and the blueing is mediocore at best... I realize you're looking at stainless...

http://www.snipercentral.com/vanguardvs.htm
Old 12-24-2011, 07:08 PM
Spike

I own both a vanguard and a weather warrior. The savage has both the accutrigger and the accustock. The savage is very accurate and a great gun! I cant think of anything bad to say about it. The vanguard is a accurate rifle also. The one I have is a walmart gun that I bought for 225 on clearance. The only complaint I have with it is the trigger. Has tons of creep. But a timney would fix that. I don't think you can go wrong with either gun. Buy whichever one fits you best!
Old 12-26-2011, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally I would go with the American made Savage over the Japanese made Weatherby. Both are capable of great accuracy, I just refuse to buy a Japanese made gun.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:22 AM
Fork Horn

I am so glad all you folks have had such great accuracy with the savage. That has not been my experience and yes I've owned and own both. My savages are good hunting accuracy, 243, 06 both around 1 1/2 at 100. I prefer the vanguard/howa over the savage for fit, feel and it seens to shot a hair better (3/4 to 1" @ 100) for me. I've never had to deal with vanguards customer service so I can't remark on that but savages service is top notch. I would like to mess around with a xs7 but that probably isn't in the budget for a year or so.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:20 PM
Typical Buck

chma, why not look into a remington SPS in 270 instead of the weatherby. they come with adjustable triggers, same as the savage. i have 2 SPS rifles and am pleased with both. one is a varmiter in 243 and the other is a standard in 30-06. both shoot tight groups. given your choice i would take the savage. weatherbys are priced too high and dont give the accuracy for the money. good luck.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mr. Slim
chma, why not look into a remington SPS in 270 instead of the weatherby. they come with adjustable triggers, same as the savage.
While I DO tend to agree that the SPS 700 is a better choice than the Vanguard (I refuse to call these contracted abominations a "weatherby), being "adjustable" doesn't mean they're "the same".

The Rem X-triggers can't hold a candle to the Savage Accu-trigger. The Rem's that I've played with and or worked on are not nearly as crisp, and have more travel than the Savages. At very low settings, the X's have issues, whereas I've ran Savages to the very bottom without fail. It was a good try by Rem, and it's still a great trigger, (he11 of a lot better than the old Rem triggers), but it's still not up to par with a Savage.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:56 AM
Typical Buck

nomercy, neither of my rifles have had the triggers adjusted. i shoot them at factory setting. both are crisp and clean and i have no problem with them. my comparision was with the weatherby not being as accurate as it could be out of the box especially with the cost of the rifle. i feel for the money, the remington is a better deal than the vanguard.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Other than the shooter, the two most important aspects of an accurate rifle is the barrel & the trigger.

..............given that you've found the load that your gun "likes" the best !
Old 12-28-2011, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Other than the shooter, the two most important aspects of an accurate rifle is the barrel & the trigger.
100%...

It doesn't matter how accurate a rifle is, if it has a bad trigger, you'll struggle to get it to shoot well. It's a lot like having power steering in our cars, the ability to control our rifle is paramount.

I've seen it countless times in my own experience...

Had a Marlin 1895 that was grouping well, but had a 7lb trigger, replaced it with a WWG Happy Trigger and a reduced power mainspring, dropped it down to 2.5lbs, dropped my groups down to 1 ragged hole at 100yrds.

Had a Ruger 10/22 I built on a factory action. 6lb trigger. Replacing it with a Volquartzen trigger group brought it down from a 2" rifle at 100yrds to a 3/4" rifle at 100.

Replaced a trigger in a customer's AR-15 prairie dog rig, he went from a single stage 8lb "mil-spec" DPMS trigger to a 2 stage Geisselle with a 22oz total pull (18/4), brought his groups from 6" at 300yrds to 3.5" (not JUST the trigger of course, put in a match Krieger also).

It's the only functional interface between the shooter and the rifle, I'll take a 1.5MOA rifle with a GOOD trigger any day over a 1MOA rifle with a bad trigger.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Weatherby Vanguard. I don't like Savage because it has a two piece bolt. Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.