Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
257 Roberts/6.5x55 Swede/7x57 Mauser >

257 Roberts/6.5x55 Swede/7x57 Mauser

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

257 Roberts/6.5x55 Swede/7x57 Mauser

Old 12-19-2011, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

HTML Code:
				257 Roberts/6.5x55  Swede/7x57 Mauser
I have one of each and like them all.....all are great hunting rounds but all have the same drawbacks.....all must be reloaded to create their potential and all are not available in a short action rifle.

Better choices are available for each of these old cartridges..... so why would anyone expect them to survive in the flood of choices?
Old 12-19-2011, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ghost of the hardwoods
I did a little reading some time ago about the 6.5X47......it looks like screamer to me. It had many,many good reviews; but it looks like most guys that use it are going to competitions with it and in a lot of cases doing well with it!
A few guys at the range were saying that the US Military is comptenplating this round as a new sniper round.dont know if it's true or where they got their info from.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:41 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by jerry d
A few guys at the range were saying that the US Military is comptenplating this round as a new sniper round.dont know if it's true or where they got their info from.
I'm not 100% sure either. But I know that after I read a few articles on the round, I said to myself " If I ever had good amount of extra money to blow on a "project", I would send it out and have one of the better known rifle makers do me up a pretty nice rifle with all the fixins' in that round."
Old 12-20-2011, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Biggest problem was the factory ammo offerings were loaded to very mild pressure.For those that load they are superb.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:23 PM
Typical Buck

I guess it is a combination of things and changing times. Reloading started out basicly as a cheap way to get ammo and for guys that only could afford one or two guns. When I was a kid reloading really had a bad name. Same with calibers of rifles. A lot of rumors really shot down some of those rounds for the general hunting public. Some calibers just carry a stigma. Years back metric cartridges had to be jammed down the hunting public's throat. Now days a lot of guys are taking hunting trips and need (Or think they do) that magnum rifle. I guess it is a lot of things. I don't know, I find myself going smaller every year for deer. I have a 6.5x55, 7x57, and recently got rid of one .257. I don't care for the .257 and probably will give the other one to my Buddy's kid.
No reason, I just don't like them.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:04 PM
Spike

There was just a big story about the new US Sniper rounds going to the .300 Win Mag. Here's a link...

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/...um-Ammo-05493/

I picked up a 25-06 Rem. last year and really like the way it shoots. Not sure it's balistically any better than my .270 Win but it does not kick as hard.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nitro.Bass
There was just a big story about the new US Sniper rounds going to the .300 Win Mag. Here's a link...

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/...um-Ammo-05493/

I picked up a 25-06 Rem. last year and really like the way it shoots. Not sure it's balistically any better than my .270 Win but it does not kick as hard.
The article you cited is dated June 2009. It may be true, and already enacted, but it is not a "recent article".
Old 12-24-2011, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Interesting article Nitro.Makes sense,it would fill the gap between the 308 and 50.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:15 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by goatbrother
The popularity has wained. For a couple reasons. They are a mid length case that usually requires them to be chambered in a long action gun. If buying a long action why not go for a case that has more capacity and thus better performance. A 25-06 over a 257 Roberts, or a 280 Remington over a 7x57 Mauser. Add to that the newer cartridges like the 260 Remington that duplicates the 6.5x55 or the 7mm-08 that duplicates the 7x57 but in a short action rifle. Factory loadings that are kept to lower presures due to older weaker guns also contributed, a handloader can soup them up but if you don't reload your stuck with weak loads. And of course MAGNUM MAINIA is a factor too.

This answer pretty much covers my thoughts as well. I am fascinated with the history of the 7x57 and 6.5x55 and, because I am a rifle looney, I own a couple of rifles in each caliber, two of which are custom Mausers, which I consider family heirlooms. With the excellent short action .260 and 7mm-08 rifles now available, most non-looney riflemen will opt for the relatively speaking "modern" calibers. Of course, loonies will own at least a couple of rifles in these calibers as well, and I just added a Sig in .280 because I really like the 7mm bullet offerings. Nothing like choices when it comes to rifles. The only caliber I have not yet talked myself into buying is a .257 bob. My Sako AV in .25-06 satisfies me completely so far.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I received a Cabelas catalog the other day.They teamed up with a few gun makers for special limited editons offerings in some of these cals.The Win in .257 is a thing of beauty as is the Ruger Number 1 in 7x57 but the same can be said for most all these guns.Sadly they're all fairly expensive as well.