Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Which 9mm for Christmas? >

Which 9mm for Christmas?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which 9mm for Christmas?

Old 12-16-2011, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are a number of ways to have fun with a semi auto handgun....I have a "wrooger" and it's OK but wouldn't necessarily recommend it because it's the only semi auto I've owned......I prefer revolvers!

This much is a given however....the main purpose of these guns is self defense and since by definition "self defense never happens at 100 yards"....I say that accuracy, while important, isn't the primary concern....it's reliability.....

Whichever 9mm you choose remember that if it isn't completely reliable then the .40 and .45 you get later should be a different make....

Also remember this....if it's self defense you're interested in, then a shotgun is still your best investment.....

Have fun....I like my 9mm for just plain rolling blocks of wood around the back yard.....but it's not my defense gun !
Old 12-16-2011, 04:35 PM
Fork Horn

Glock. Period.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:53 PM
Typical Buck

Most important...the gun needs to fit you and your hand. If it isn't comfortable in your hand it wont be fun to shoot and you'll be less accurate. Go fondle some...go to a range that rents various models and toss some lead.

As for personal fav's...My Browning Hi-Power (in 40) is the best handgun I have ever owned and is a dream to handle. Second best would be my Sig 226 (also in 40) and for daily carry conceal, this is my primary weapon. I have 3 Beretta 92F's (9mm)...great guns...durable and reliable and my go to when I just want to blast up boxes of lead. I also have a Kahr CW9 and a CW40...go to guns for low-profile carry/conceal (ankle, etc.). I also have a Taurus 454 Casull Raging Bull...packed when fishing in Alaska to keep the combat fishermen at a distance...LOL...Along with a few others I also have a Glock 22 also in the safe because I can't seem to give the PIECE OF JUNK away...clunky to shoot, less accurate than throwing rocks...but hey, it's dishwasher safe...so not completely useless! It all comes down to what ya wanna use for it and if it fits you. Do your homework and make the right decision and have fun on the adventure of choosing.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:00 PM
Fork Horn

Glock 17. I've carried Glock, Sig, and S&W daily, and the 17 is my favorite 9mm. Idiot-proof and easy to clean.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you haven't already noticed, there are a lot of opinions as to what's best. However, the best advice so far is to handle as many as your local gun dealer has in stock. There's still no guarantee it'll work for you even if it fits one person's hands here and their reason for owning it.

Assuming that "defense" is probably high on your list of potential uses, reliability is essential. Beyond that, also look at the features. Some people prefer having an exposed hammer. Some DAs can be decocked, either by a dedicated lever (i.e. Sig) or through the safety (Beretta). Some people like the feel of polymer frames, others hate them. Some come with night (tritium) sights, others don't. Some magazines are harder to find than others, and often considerably more expensive. Plan on mounting a light or light/laser combo? - probably want to have something with a Pic rail. Holster availability?
Old 12-17-2011, 01:41 PM
Typical Buck

Springfield xd9. Probably the perfect pistol. For carry look at the kahr cw9
Old 12-25-2011, 07:30 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the opinions, have been looking at alot of them online while I wait for gun show season to start.
Mostly be used for Target and plowing shots down the range. Dont really have any desire to carry.