Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Help me choose my first pistol. >

Help me choose my first pistol.

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Help me choose my first pistol.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

A ruger super redhawk in 44 magnum would be a good deer revolver that is da/sa. The hogue grips really make it easier to handle to boot. You can shoot 44 special loads to practice with it. Each state is different about handguns for hunting. Some states, 45acp is legal, while other states, it needs to be a magnum revolver. I wouldnt do anything less then a fullsized 45acp, and loaded to hot to +p levels. Lot easier to just use a 44 mag IMO.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would not be afraid to use a 10mm such as the Glock 20 but IMO a revolver is better. I like the Ruger Redhawk or Super Redhawk in 44 mag and the single shot TC Contenders which can be chambered in most anything you can imagine.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info guys ... going to go out and shoot a few guns with a guy from work to get an idea of what i might want .

Nomercy... never said i would be shooting 50 yards tomorrow one handed .. I am aware of my limitations and lack of expierence ... But i am a perfectionest... and i love to shoot ... Maybe some day I could .... but not today ... look it as a goal to aspire to someday.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:21 PM
Spike

get a judge you can shoot a 45 long or a 410 shotgun shell it will be a great investment
Old 12-18-2011, 02:09 PM
Typical Buck

Forget the Judge. If you want one of those trail guns that shoots shotgun shells go with the S&W Governor. You get another round, and a better overall gun.

Realistically though, if you are going to do some handgun hunting stick with one of the 6+" barreled Rugers or S&Ws.

I'd suggest Ruger because they make guns built to take anything thrown at them. I've seen some loads (for the .44 mag) that are hotter ones that suggest only using them in a non-Ruger gun sparingly.

S&W also makes a good gun. Both have good CS departments so if you do have a problem it will be dealt with appropriately. That's the good thing about going with those two companies. Peace of mind.