Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Recalling the cost of inexpensive ammo (EXAMPLES)

Old 12-10-2011, 08:20 AM
Spike

Default Recalling the cost of inexpensive ammo (EXAMPLES)

A couple of the post I read the other day got me to thinking. Whenever I mention (the cost of ammo these days) I see a surprising number of hunters saying that "the cost of ammo is not that bad" Now I'm not saying that I am a poor guy, but I am not rich either. My question is, How often do these guys shoot each week?

When I lived in Upstate NY I would shoot 2-3 times per week. I would usually bring 1 rifle, and 1 (sometimes) 2 of my shotguns with me. Each time I went to the range, I would on average go through "at least" 1 full box of 20 rounds for my 30-06 ( more like 30 rounds) If I brought my 30-30, I would shoot at least 30 rounds off at the range ( more like 40 rounds ) I would shoot 5 boxes of slugs out of each shotgun (25 rounds) If you add this up at the rate of 2 or 3 times per week it could get VERY expensive. At least for me it seems. Even back then when I had a much better job, The cost of me shooting that frequently was costly.

I can remember when a box of Winchester/ Remington 30-30 (at Walmart) was around $7.88 per box. A box Winchester/ Remington 30-06 was $13-14. And I remember when Slugs would go on sale for .97 cents per box.

I find that an average box of foster slugs today is hovering around the $5 mark. Average box of 30-30 can be $20 or more and the same goes for 30-06. I have seen boxes of 30-06 ammo going for almost $70 now??????? I don't understand this.

For a guy that liked to shoot 90 rounds per week out a 1 rifle....even at 1 dollar per round, it would cost me $90 per week to shoot (one) of my rifles. Then add an extra $75 each week to shoot my shotgun.

I think its crazy how it could almost cost as much as renting an apartment for me to shoot at the frequency that I used to.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

once a year probably... "these guys"

maybe twice or 3 times, plus hunting season should they pull the trigger...
Old 12-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most serious shooters that I know use handloaded ammo.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:28 PM
Fork Horn

I load my own ammo, so my cost isnt very much. Just powder, primer, and bullets. Can load cheapo bullets to plink and practice with, and premium stuff to get ready for season, and to actually hunt. Anyone serious about shooting would be well served to learn about reloading.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by streetglideok
I load my own ammo, so my cost isnt very much. Just powder, primer, and bullets. Can load cheapo bullets to plink and practice with, and premium stuff to get ready for season, and to actually hunt. Anyone serious about shooting would be well served to learn about reloading.
+1 If you look into the cost of the machinery and materials, it would pay for itself in a couple of years, tops, if you shoot a lot.
Especially during the summer and fall, I'll bet I'm out to the range once a week, at least. No way I could afford to do that, if I didn't reload. Look for a used outfit if you have to. The stuff doesn't wear out.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot once {sometimes twice } a month, 30 rounds of 243, 20 rounds 35rem. The 243 rounds cost $18.99 for winchester super x @ walmart.The 35rems are $29.99 for the same brand. The 35rems i can't find @ walmart,dicks or any other big box store,so i buy them and other shooting supplies at a gun shop near my work place.
The range fee is $15.00 for 3 hours.......so if you add it up it's over $70.00 for 3 hours of shooting!!
Old 12-11-2011, 06:48 AM
Spike

Thanks guys. I have been contemplating reloading for about 7 or 8 months now and I think it's the direction that makes the most sense to go in. A yearly membership for a gun club around here is $300-$500 per year and most of them suck!!! I have found a lot of them won't let you use centerfire rifles at their ranges. ( at least the ones closest to me) When I lived in NY, my clubs membership was $50 for the 1st year and $25 each consecutive year.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:05 AM
Spike

RidgeRunner..... I too have noticed that my shooting abilities have degraded as well. (I guess it's par for the course when you have to shoot less frequently)

That's the part that bums me out. The reason why I used to shoot so much was so that I could get good.... and stay that way. I used to hear horror stories at the range of guys losing good bucks because of bad shots. These where the same guys that sight in their guns (1 time per year), usually 2 or 3 days before the season opener. They are also the guys that I see shooting 10-11" groups with their shot guns @ 60 or so yards and they look at me and nod their heads and say...... "I think that's pretty good for this year".... and they pick up their shotgun and leave in their trucks. Then about a week later I am the one processing their deer that has 5 bullet holes in it, spanning from the neck region all the way back to the hind quarters.

Last edited by Ghost of the hardwoods; 12-11-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

What is the reason for the sharp increase ?
Old 12-11-2011, 01:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's all about how much the general public is "willing" to pay, before sales slow down too much.

Greed & profit driven - period.

Of course, a loaf of bread isn't 25 cents anymore either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.