Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
lookin for a little help, maybee getting a new 700 >

lookin for a little help, maybee getting a new 700

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

lookin for a little help, maybee getting a new 700

Old 12-07-2011, 10:29 AM
Spike

I also definatly prefer the detachable magazine, do you know if that limits aftermarket parts for the gun or not?
Old 12-07-2011, 11:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not to the best of my knowledge.......?

I also buy a extra magazine for all my rifles.

Last edited by Sheridan; 12-07-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:19 AM
Spike

I cna definatly see an extra magazine being worth while
Old 12-08-2011, 04:43 AM
Spike

ridge runner & sheridan - thanks for the info
ridge runner, i will definatly check out the stocks from the companies you mentioned, and I will probably go with a good recoil pad, but I think I am going to skip the muzzle break, as I do not wear hearing protection while hunting, only while target shooting and I have heard that a muzzle break can make the noise quite loud
Old 12-10-2011, 11:14 AM
Spike

Default the new 700

I own and hunt with REmington 300 wm BDL model. Out ofthe box
it is very acurate.I have taken an elk with it, a buffalo.
the BDL is pretty. I can't imagine doing anymore to it.
I have a Leupold 3.5 x 9 vari III on it.The elk went down the first shot like a ton of bricks.that kind of money .
Maybe you should from scratch and build a custom rifle./
Shilen barrell,richards custom stock.New action...stuff like that.
that way you'll be spending a lot of money. and while you're at
it join the NRA...
Old 12-13-2011, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

jdweim...the rifle you are looking at is a great choice. Not sure your reasoning for the .300wm, as that is a cannon....but its your money. If you are planning on taking bigger game at long ranges, you probably couldn't pick a better caliber. If you are just a typical deer hunter, imo that is way overkill. I didn't read every post here, maybe you said why you chose the .300

Good luck and good shooting
Old 12-13-2011, 11:11 AM
Spike

i don't think i stated my reasoning yet, but i do mostly whitetail hunting, however I am hoping to go out elk hunting in a few years. Don't get me wrong my current round being the .308 i have had no problems dropping deer, but have had a few problems with getting pass thru shots on some of the larger deer i have shot. Including the th elarge doe I shot last Fri, I was letting the deer walk into the scope, but still pulled the trigger a hair early, bullet went in right in front of the near shoulder and lodged in the far shoulder, deer was slightly quartering toward me. dropped the deer in about 10 feet, though.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jdweim
i don't think i stated my reasoning yet, but i do mostly whitetail hunting, however I am hoping to go out elk hunting in a few years. Don't get me wrong my current round being the .308 i have had no problems dropping deer, but have had a few problems with getting pass thru shots on some of the larger deer i have shot. Including the th elarge doe I shot last Fri, I was letting the deer walk into the scope, but still pulled the trigger a hair early, bullet went in right in front of the near shoulder and lodged in the far shoulder, deer was slightly quartering toward me. dropped the deer in about 10 feet, though.
Congrats on your doe
Non-pass thru's are more often a bullet issue than a caliber issue. But it can and does happen from time to time with even the best bullets.

Good luck with your new gun, once you get it
Old 12-14-2011, 03:05 AM
Spike

I was thinking that too.. like maybe esp. this year, I was almost wondering if the bullet opened too early or something like that
for info...bullet is .308 150 grain remington core lokt
i did notice the entrance wound seemed a little larger than normal, being about the size of a nickel, i still have the hide, if i have a chance tonight maybe I will go take a look at the hole
Old 12-14-2011, 03:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

What did your bullet look like? (you said you found it)
Core lokt usually perform pretty well, though not really considered a premium bullet.

There are also two schools of thought out there...1 says they want a small entry hole, and larger exit hole on every shot. Others say they DON'T want it to exit...to stop just prior so as to expend all energy IN the animal. I personally prefer two holes I like better blood trails in case that your shot is not as good as it needed to be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.