Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
lookin for a little help, maybee getting a new 700 >

lookin for a little help, maybee getting a new 700

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

lookin for a little help, maybee getting a new 700

Old 12-06-2011, 12:03 PM
Spike

Default lookin for a little help, maybee getting a new 700

So I am thinking about buying a new hunting rifle for next year and I want a 700, pretty sure I am set on the .300WM as for caliber, and planning on putting a leupold VX-II scope on it.
Now I get a little lost from there, I was looking at the SPS due to the price and the drop out magazine just because I like removable magazines
I may start getting some work done on the rifle as money allows, such as an upgraded stock, trigger work or new trigger, then possibly bedding and free floating.
What do you think of the setup, any recomendations on stock, trigger, or even the model I am looking at.
Any more info or insight would be greatly appreciated
Old 12-06-2011, 02:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Proud owner of a 700 SPS with detachable magazine in .243.

Did three things;

Had my gunsmith hand lap the barrel.

Had my gunsmith do a basic trigger job.

I followed the "standard" break in proceedure for first 100 rounds.

Shoots under 1" MOA all day long.

Any gunsmith worth their salt "can" work on a model 700 !
Old 12-06-2011, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

Couldn't agree more--I've got an LSS in 30-06, puts two with the holes touching and then on the third shot I usually can't hold it steady enough to put that one into the same hole although occasionally I do--and this is an out of the box rifle, no gunsmithing at all, so yes, the Remingtons shoot----listen to Sheridan, he knows what he's talking about---
Old 12-06-2011, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

just had to show you a couple shots cause she's pretty---
Attached Thumbnails lookin for a little help, maybee getting a new 700-img_2495.jpg   lookin for a little help, maybee getting a new 700-img_2496.jpg  
Old 12-07-2011, 04:20 AM
Spike

Sheridan - one question i have is Do they make as much aftermarket for the detachable magazine style, such as stocks? and are there any limitations to that style for getting work done to the gun and the functionality of the gun

Jhilde - that is a great looking gun, is that a standard stock, or aftermarket?
Old 12-07-2011, 04:49 AM
Fork Horn

Sheridan, maybe you can shed a little light on the question--every Remington I've ever owned had a hinged floor plate, don't remember any with a fully detachable magazine--I've had ADL's, BDL's and the LSS--my Rem .22 of course had a pull out mag, but the rest all had floor plates---
JD--the stock is Remingtons, straight factory, called the "black laminated"--I don't see them offered in the Rem catalog any longer so that stock style may have been discontinued---Bud's gun shop, on the net, still has one in .300 Win Mag and their prices can't be beat--food for thought----
Old 12-07-2011, 05:00 AM
Fork Horn

Just checked to be sure my info was accurate--second page of the Bud's gun shop Remington section, black laminate stock, stainless barreled action in .300 Win mag, $674.00---I love Remingtons so to my way of thinking, it's a no-brainer--just my opinion of course----
Attached Thumbnails lookin for a little help, maybee getting a new 700-img_2497.jpg   lookin for a little help, maybee getting a new 700-img_2498.jpg  
Old 12-07-2011, 05:08 AM
Fork Horn

Another point in their favor, they are relatively light, but the thick recoil pad that Remington puts on them handles a lot of the felt recoil--my 06 is not at all uncomfortable to shoot--the .300 mag will have a little more "push" but will still be easy to live with and should be plenty accurate--my Rem in .300 WSM was a real tack driver--
Old 12-07-2011, 05:22 AM
Spike

jhilde - thanks for the heads up, i will check out buds. maybe i can get the gunsmith to order one from them and not to worried about recoil..I was shooting my .308 winchester 100 before the season this year and honestly didn't even notice the recoil, I am sure I will notice with the mag. but I don't think it will be enough to cause a flinch or anything of the kind

another question i thought of is - anybody know the average price for a trigger job, floating a barrel, glass bedding..etc

Last edited by jdweim; 12-07-2011 at 05:25 AM.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here is the detachable magazine model;

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...00-sps-dm.aspx

Perfer stainless, but detachable box magazine is first priority for me.

BTW - also removed recoil pad & replace with pachmayr decelerator recoil pad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.