Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
lookin for a little help, maybee getting a new 700 >

lookin for a little help, maybee getting a new 700

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

lookin for a little help, maybee getting a new 700

Old 12-14-2011, 04:43 AM
Spike

sorry i did not find the bullet, when i said it lodged in the shoulder i meant that is where the damage stopped (sorry for the confusion), the far shoulder was completely shredded, so was the chest plate.
Also i shot a knub buck on Nov. 19 with a nice pass thru and very little damage, but I also made a much better shot sticking the bullet right behind the front shoulders on a perfectly broadside shot, dropping out both lungs and damaging no meat, entry wound about the size just smaller than a dime, exit wound about the size of a silver dollar. Then again the shot are really not comparable, as the doe was about 80-90 yards and the knub was about 17-20 yards. The doe i hit a lot of bone, the knub I just hit some ribs.

Last edited by jdweim; 12-14-2011 at 04:49 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:39 AM
Spike

after doing some more research, now I am seriously considering the .280 rem. round, Any thoughts on this caliber
Old 12-14-2011, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great round, highly under-rated and under-used.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:56 AM
Spike

thats what i was thinking, according to the charts i have looked at it seems it out-flies the 30-06 as far as trajectory and can load a heavier bullet than the .270 with almost the same trajectory
Old 12-14-2011, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jdweim
after doing some more research, now I am seriously considering the .280 rem. round, Any thoughts on this caliber
Now you're talkin!
I bought a .280 mountain rifle new in 1987....killed probably 100 with it since. Lights out...amazing caliber. My only deer rifle, other than my m/l. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on big game such as elk either. I use 139gr handloads....good stuff.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:31 AM
Spike

that was going to be my next question, is what grain would you use...I see the typical factory loads, come in 140gr, 150gr, and 160gr with the 140 having the best ballistics. Was wondering how that 140gr bullet was handling deer as far as staying together, because I like the pass thru shots, not the exploded bullet shots.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:13 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Proud owner of a 700 SPS with detachable magazine in .243.

Did three things;

Had my gunsmith hand lap the barrel.

Had my gunsmith do a basic trigger job.

I followed the "standard" break in proceedure for first 100 rounds.

Shoots under 1" MOA all day long.

Any gunsmith worth their salt "can" work on a model 700 !
See, I don't see how this is impressive, but maybe it's just me. My Savage right out of the box, with no gunsmith work, no trigger work, no hand lapping the barrel, and just shooting not following any break in procedure, shot .8" groups with both factory Federal Power Shok and Winchester Power Point ammo. With reloads it got down to constant .4-.5" groups at 100 yards, which is 1/2MOA.

That said, it's no way I'd buy a new Remington, but that's just my opinion.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

140gr is probably the most widely used, a great size for any .7mm caliber gun (7mm-08, 7mm mag, .280, etc)
Any of the premium bullets should work well for you, and if you ever decide to handload the options are endless.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by slowr1der
See, I don't see how this is impressive, but maybe it's just me. My Savage right out of the box, with no gunsmith work, no trigger work, no hand lapping the barrel, and just shooting not following any break in procedure, shot .8" groups with both factory Federal Power Shok and Winchester Power Point ammo. With reloads it got down to constant .4-.5" groups at 100 yards, which is 1/2MOA.

That said, it's no way I'd buy a new Remington, but that's just my opinion.
Agree that 1 moa is not overly impressive (but its very good), and it sounds like your gun is a real shooter. A guy in our hunting camp bought a 700 ADL (the cheap one) a few years ago in .270. With nothing done to it at all and factory remington core lokt ammo, it shot a .6" group at 100yds. I couldn't believe it. My gun will do that, but I've had trigger work and shoot handloads. Just goes to show you that it doesn't matter the make/model....some guns are shooters. Others, you can work on em till kingdom comes to get a MOA shooter.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:21 AM
Spike

yeah i was lookin online and i see that hornady makes a 139 gr in their superformance line that is supposed to go >3000 FPS about $31 a box, but as of right now i know nothing about handloading, wouldn't mind learning though

Last edited by jdweim; 12-15-2011 at 08:30 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.