Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gun stories

Old 12-05-2011, 04:05 PM
Spike

Default Gun stories

Do any of you have a story about a special gun that you wanted and couldn't afford, your significant other didn't want you to get ,or both?
I'd like to hear what you have to say. Did you get? Are you still with that person?
Old 12-06-2011, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like your priorities are askew. The question is trivial, because I can't imagine that I would ever stay with someone that I could perceive valuing a RIFLE I DON'T EVEN OWN more than the person I'm with. I certainly can't imagine any rifle that I would trade for my wife (although I may occasionally joke about it).

My honest opinion is that it mostly sounds like you're looking like a way out of your relationship, and using your want for a new rifle as an excuse, and you're looking for validation from strangers to convince you that your opinion is right.

Frankly, I'd never buy a firearm I can't afford, but then again, I'm not the type to buy ANYTHING I can't afford. Luckily for me, my "too expensive" list is pretty short.

I would encourage you to consider whether you're confusing "being controlling" with "protecting you from yourself". You said it yourself, "you can't afford the firearm". For example, my sister's fiancee (a guy I've known well for about 10yrs) is absolutely horrid with money. If he has $10 in his pocket, that means he has $100 to spend, lest he burst into flames. So at the bar with his buddies, he complains that she's controlling (which I'd honestly believe she is, if I didn't know the guy), but I can't help but bring up that he declared bankruptcy at 20, and still owes me about $15,000 for digging him out of a hole since then. Is her behavior "Controlling", yeah maybe, but is her behavior "Necessary", definitely...

Ultimately, if I were you, I'd reconsider my investment in the relationship. It sounds like you're not really invested in the relationship, and you're looking for an easy out. It's easy to point fingers and say "it's her fault", but John 8:7-Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. It takes two to tango, so if you're not dancing along, you can't blame her for stepping on your toes from time to time.

PS-I'm starting to think I shouldn't leave Dr. Phil playing in the background while I'm working in my shop...
Old 12-06-2011, 01:04 PM
Typical Buck

There are many guns I want, and will not own. I have to make ends meet first, and then get my toys.

Someday I will get my fancy engraved revolver with a very nice patterned holster to use for open carry. Don't forget the beautiful belt and goofy looking belt buckle to go with it.

When will I get that setup? Who knows? Not any time soon though. I have too many legitimate purchases to make between now and then.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

OK, I'll give you one...I hunted with a .45 flintlock for 20 years or so...One morning while on one of our farms a big black bear came within 30 yards of me...I had been considering a .50 but decided right then it would be a .54...I couldn't afford a custom made .54 and didn't like the looks of factory made muzzleloaders...

The only answer, built it yourself...Took me 2 years and 200 hours...I paid around $800 for the parts back in 1988...She's a .54 caliber Lancaster design, much like what would have been used in the 1770s in North Carolina...I've taken about 40 deer with her...

Old 12-06-2011, 03:58 PM
Spike

Well , my wife and I were talking about some of the stupid things I have done and she reminded me about one of the rifles I got one time. In a nutshell , I wanted a new .308 and she told me I didn't need one. So she said I needed to free up some money from somewhere because archery, reloading,fly tying and fly fishing are expensive hobbies. One her options was for me to not buy anymore beer ( yea that will never happen) or to sell something. Then, one night after work I went to the store with her and spotted a home hair cutting kit , and me being the thinker I am , I figured that i would save 12-15 bucks every 2 weeks or so ( she told me to save money!!) . I took it home and thought to myself , " how hard could it be?". When I showed her " new " haircut , she couldn't stop laughing. After she calmed down and I went back into the bathroom and cut the rest of my hair off , she then informed me that if would go as far as to change my appearance , I could go buy my gun.
I'm still pretty new to forums ,Nomercey, so things don't always come out the way I want them to., but thanks for posting anyway. One day I will get my thoughts into writing effectively lol
Old 12-06-2011, 04:04 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
OK, I'll give you one...I hunted with a .45 flintlock for 20 years or so...One morning while on one of our farms a big black bear came within 30 yards of me...I had been considering a .50 but decided right then it would be a .54...I couldn't afford a custom made .54 and didn't like the looks of factory made muzzleloaders...

The only answer, built it yourself...Took me 2 years and 200 hours...I paid around $800 for the parts back in 1988...She's a .54 caliber Lancaster design, much like what would have been used in the 1770s in North Carolina...I've taken about 40 deer with her...

nchawkeye, you have an absolutely beautiful rifle. You did an awesome job!!
Old 12-06-2011, 05:20 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye

absolutely beautiful wood. your right about the looks of factory made ML's. i have a lyman and none of them, even top end model come close to looking as good as this. great work.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by larry_073
I'm still pretty new to forums ,Nomercey, so things don't always come out the way I want them to., but thanks for posting anyway. One day I will get my thoughts into writing effectively lol
Larry, I meant no offense. That was just the impression I got from the few words on the page. You'l notice in most of my posts (as has everyone else that's been on this board very long and has read one of my responses) that I'm OVERLY throrough when it comes to describing things, so my point is clear. Maybe it's part of my own OCD, if I don't hear the same thing 15 times in 15 different ways, it doesn't really sink in for me.

Fact of the matter is that any one of us that's been married very long has had SOMETHING they wanted that was outside the budget. For most people, their wife is their conscious when it comes to gun purchases. In "my family", I'm usually the voice of reason when it comes to money, regardless of whether it's new shoes for the wife, or a new rifle for me. I figure if I'm the harder on myself than anyone else about money, then when I want to spend some, nobody can point a finger.

I'll admit though, I'm more apt to "overspend" on the wife's firearms than my own, but it's paying off! Overspend on a few of hers and she seems to be less argumentative when I want to drop a dime on one of my own "guilty pleasures" (like having 3 Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskans, haha).
Old 12-08-2011, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

For many years I longed over having a nice new Rifle...for about 20 years or so I used the same Rifle...a Remington 30-06 Semi-Automatic handed down to me from my Dad.I longed still for a Browning of some caliber...I saved up and paid my bills and finally got caught up in the Rat Race of Life...and bought me a brand spanking new Browning A-Bolt Hunter bolt-action .243...killed me 2 nice 8-Point Bucks over the last 5 years and several nice fat Doe's.Then 2 years ago I got the "Rifle Fever" again and saved up,worked lots of over-time and bought a sweet little Savage 7mm-08 Bolt-Action with the accu-trigger...then I felt the need for a smaller caliber Coyote Rifle....so I worked some more over-time,sold some scrap metal and a few old Pontiac parts and got me a sweet shottin' CZ-USA Varmint in a .204 Bolt-action.....!

Its habit forming I tell You.....I'm think about a Savage Light Weight Hunter in a bolt-action .223 or a nother CZ-USA model 527 in a .223 "American" Rifle....look out over-time!