HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Why so Inaccruate? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/354429-why-so-inaccruate.html)

Lance_23 11-27-2011 02:36 PM

Why so Inaccruate?

Ok heres the deal, I just recently traded for this rifle i have now, its a Remington Model 742 .308 Carbine. Its a nice little rifle and i got it just to do some deer hunting with. its in prety good condition, and its equiped with a bushnel 1.75-4 power shotgun scope, i was out sighting it in and at 100 yrds and this thing was shooting all over the place, like 4 rounds of rem corelok was way high and left, high and center, low and to the right and way right and center. i tried some federals and the same sanerio around the same shot placement (all over). Ok i moved the target to 50 yrds, shot 4 more rounds of rem corelok and it improved massively 4 rounds with in 3 inches of each other and one clipping the dead center, tried the feds and the shots was not as good but still alot better than at 100 yrds, I'm not sure whats going on with this rifle but trying to get some advice on what might be happaning, not sure if its the scope or what but any info would be appreciated.

MountainDevil54 11-27-2011 02:50 PM

cheap mounts/rings maybe?

Lance_23 11-27-2011 03:15 PM

could be, I might have to get a new set or maybe even a new scope.

MountainDevil54 11-27-2011 03:22 PM

there ya go! The entire package and then see how she shoots. Maybe even look through the rifle for loose screws.

DocD 11-27-2011 03:57 PM

Don't rule out a Bad Scope period!!, In the last couple of years I have never seen so many optic problems in scopes, it really doesn't seem to be any single co. This season we went through 2 Pentax, one bad from the Get-go, the next lasted one range session, Last year we had a Burris "belly-up". They gave an argument with the Burris, Itook the Rep. to the range and told him to "Have at it" end of story!! He replaced the scope. it really "Tees a guy off to spend money on shells, time at the Range, only to find the scope is bad, and then start all over. (sorry for the rant!! but I know what you are going through) Good Luck, Doc

Nomercy448 11-27-2011 03:59 PM

Not to be insulting, but I have to ask, how do you know it's the rifle? You didn't mention what rest you were shooting, and you didn't make any statement about how big your groups are, and you didn't mention anything else to make reference to how well YOU can shoot, making me 100% certain it's the rifle's fault.

If you're shooting off a controlled rest (sandbags or adjustable rest, or at least a bipod) from a solid base (not over the hood of a truck, or offhand), and are getting 4inch or bigger groups, then the next thing I would look at is that 1.75-4x scope. Off the top, I'm guessing that's a Bushnell Trophy, 1.75-4x32mm scope. FOV at 100yrds is 75ft at 1.75x, and 29ft at 4x. The PROBLEM with that is that a 1" group, out of a 29ft FOV, you're talking about 0.3% of the FOV, or 0.15% margin for error. Basically, if you move 1% from one shot to the next, you're talking about 3.5" groups. Comparatively, the 3" groups at 50yrds that you mentioned would STILL only be 1.7% of your FOV... Holding within 2% is doing pretty dang good.

Moral of the story, is that 1" groupsat 100yrds is asking a LOT out of a 1.75-4x scope.

On a relative scale: 1,000yrd shooters often use 30x powered scopes, such as the 8-32x56mm Nightforce BR scopes. These have FOV's of 30ft at 1,000yrds. Basically, shooting a 1" group at 100yrds with your 1.75-4x scope has the same margin for error as shooting a 1" group with a 8-32x56mm Nightforce scope AT 1,000yrds!!!!

Or consider a 3-9x40mm scope. A 1" group at 100yrds with that 1.75-4x scope is the same as shooting a 1" group at 250yrds with a 3-9x40mm scope. 1" at 250yrds is amazing, 1" at 1,000yrds (above 8-32x56mm scope) would be world record level shooting, so you really have to realize what you're asking from that little 1.75-4x scope...

Stan00 11-27-2011 04:12 PM

my problem was

I have a 222 rem. Tack driver for 10 years as I reload, Took it out and was all over just like you are. Just as someone else said, Check all the screws. The front screw that holds stock to the rifle came loose, Tightened it and right back to being a tack driver. Ez to check. It takes some time to figure it out but if all screws are tight and the stock is not touching the barrel somewhere like my rem 700 308 was. I would guess scope or mounts or both. I also only use one brand of ammo and each rifleing twist likes a different weight of bullet. like fast twist likes heavy bullets slow twist likes light bullets so if you have a 1 in 9,10, 11 or 12 twist it will shoot heavy bullets better than light ones.

Good luck, Stan

nchawkeye 11-27-2011 04:18 PM

Something else Lance, I've seen several of those guns that were just worn out...There were train loads of those guns sold and some are junkers...

Do you know anything about the history of the gun or how much it was shot???
When you open the action do you see slivers or specks of metal??? My brother had
one that wouldn't hit a pie plate at 100 yards...

You also might take the scope off and see how it groups, that would eliminate the
scope and mounts...Lots of options...

VAhuntr 11-27-2011 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by nchawkeye (Post 3882092)
Something else Lance, I've seen several of those guns that were just worn out...There were train loads of those guns sold and some are junkers...

Do you know anything about the history of the gun or how much it was shot???
When you open the action do you see slivers or specks of metal??? My brother had
one that wouldn't hit a pie plate at 100 yards...

You also might take the scope off and see how it groups, that would eliminate the
scope and mounts...Lots of options...

Spot on. Many of these rifles were not maintained properly and are slam wore out.

paulie300 11-27-2011 05:10 PM

take the scope off, check the bases, then using a boresighter, check the scope and make sure its adjusting, tap the scope where it adjusts to see if the reticle jumps around at all(it shouldnt) jar the gun a bit simulating a gun shot checking if its moved on the boresighter.

742 and 7400 have never been wonderfully accurate but I love hearing them being fired off during season, BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM!:)

oh, and if it has those "see-thru" type scope rings take them off they arent very good