Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

T/C icon or ruger no.1

Old 11-23-2011, 07:33 AM
Spike

Default T/C icon or ruger no.1

OK so i have some money floating around and want a new rifle. I have narrowed it down to the T/C icon or the ruger no. 1. I have a 308 or 30-06 in mind. I will be hunting whitetails, and hopefully elk in the next few years. Please include why you favor one rifle over the other.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

TC Venture, put the savings towards a better scope.

Don't want a single shot rifle anyway !
Old 11-23-2011, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by iconhunter10
OK so i have some money floating around and want a new rifle. I have narrowed it down to the T/C icon or the ruger no. 1. I have a 308 or 30-06 in mind. I will be hunting whitetails, and hopefully elk in the next few years. Please include why you favor one rifle over the other.

Thanks in advance.
Here is what my Icon Weathershield in 308 Winchester will do with Barnes Vor-Tx(168 gr TTSX's) ammo after a fouling shot.

I would like to have a Ruger #1 as well but I would want it chambered in a "big bore" cartridge.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:00 PM
Typical Buck

i personally love the look of the ruger no. 1. once i get some money i think that's the next gun i will be purchasing. i honestly can't speak for either, because i've never shot either. But having one shot will make you, make sure that shot will be dead on. i have done target shooting and hunting with some single shot rifles and i think they have made me a better shot. good luck on your purchase.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:10 PM
Fork Horn

I really enjoy shooting my Ruger #1A Sporter in 6.5 Creedmoor. I have never shot the Icon. Although I have no complaints with my Ruger's accuracy, I have heard some bad stories about them, and I noticed the Icon comes with an accuracy guarantee. Good luck.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Apples and Oranges?

Personally, I think it's very hard to choose between such different rifles, but here are my thoughts...

1) T/C is new to this bolt action rifle thing. Not necessarily a bad thing, since they could have learned a lot from seeing what OTHERS did, but on the other hand, there's usually a learning curve for any new manufacturer. The Ruger No.1 is a time tested design. Favor: Ruger.

2) A single shot rifle, no matter how fast you practice, it's still slower, and more apt to fumble than a repeater. It also means you're carrying ammo separately, which leaves you more apt to forget it, or lose it while trekking in elk country. Favor: T/C.

3) For the design, the Ruger is heavy, 1/4lb heavier than the Icon in fact. No, it's not "heavy", but for a single shot, it's pretty weighty, but then again, it's a real rifle, not a break action abomination. It's not a major consideration, but it IS a heavy single shot. Some people still follow the "heavy is good" mantra, since it means it's made from quality materials, but you still have to carry it. Favor: Neither (same weight).

4) The T/C is cheaper, about $100-150 cheaper in fact. Favor: T/C.

5) The No.1 has a finer finish (from the Icon's I've seen at least). Favor: Ruger.

6) The "It-Factor". I love Rugers, and I absolutely love Ruger No.1's (I've owned several over the years, still holding onto 3 of them). Favor: Ruger.

So my money would get spent on the Ruger. But maybe you weight the above values differently than I do.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Personally, I think it's very hard to choose between such different rifles, but here are my thoughts...

1) T/C is new to this bolt action rifle thing. Not necessarily a bad thing, since they could have learned a lot from seeing what OTHERS did, but on the other hand, there's usually a learning curve for any new manufacturer. The Ruger No.1 is a time tested design. Favor: Ruger.

2) A single shot rifle, no matter how fast you practice, it's still slower, and more apt to fumble than a repeater. It also means you're carrying ammo separately, which leaves you more apt to forget it, or lose it while trekking in elk country. Favor: T/C.

3) For the design, the Ruger is heavy, 1/4lb heavier than the Icon in fact. No, it's not "heavy", but for a single shot, it's pretty weighty, but then again, it's a real rifle, not a break action abomination. It's not a major consideration, but it IS a heavy single shot. Some people still follow the "heavy is good" mantra, since it means it's made from quality materials, but you still have to carry it. Favor: Neither (same weight).

4) The T/C is cheaper, about $100-150 cheaper in fact. Favor: T/C.

5) The No.1 has a finer finish (from the Icon's I've seen at least). Favor: Ruger.

6) The "It-Factor". I love Rugers, and I absolutely love Ruger No.1's (I've owned several over the years, still holding onto 3 of them). Favor: Ruger.

So my money would get spent on the Ruger. But maybe you weight the above values differently than I do.

+100. I love Ruger #1's (even tho I only have one currently).
Old 12-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

+2 99.99%

I'll take the TC Venture for all the reasons you mentioned.

Plus With its 5R rifled precision barrel, adjustable trigger, Hogue traction panels, Melanite Coated Bolt and Guaranteed MOA Accuracy.

"The T/C is cheaper, about $100-150 cheaper" not sure about this one (see below - I'm sure you can get them both cheaper) ???

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/thom...-p-113410.html

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/ruge...h-p-86509.html

Last edited by Sheridan; 12-01-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
"The T/C is cheaper, about $100-150 cheaper" not sure about this one (see below - I'm sure you can get them both cheaper) ???

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/thom...-p-113410.html

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/ruge...h-p-86509.html
I just used the prices I get from Davidson's. I get $955 on Ruger No.1's, and $785 on the Icon's. So it's really more like $200 difference.

Granted, both are more expensive than the Venture, but the guy wasn't asking about the Venture.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
I just used the prices I get from Davidson's. I get $955 on Ruger No.1's, and $785 on the Icon's. So it's really more like $200 difference.

Granted, both are more expensive than the Venture, but the guy wasn't asking about the Venture.
The Icon's can be had cheaper if you shop around. I got mine last year when TC had the factory rebate going on. After the rebate, I have $425 in the rifle...including tax. Pretty darn reasonable for a rifle that consistently shoots well under 1 MOA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.