Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
.270, .280, .30-06 recoil in ultralight rifle >

.270, .280, .30-06 recoil in ultralight rifle

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.270, .280, .30-06 recoil in ultralight rifle

Old 11-20-2011, 06:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

First off, if I wanted a deer / hog gun, it would be a .270.
Second, I would want a 7mm RM or larger, if I intended to hunt elk, moose, sheep, etc.
For a “mountain rifle” I would want to start with the lightest (quality) rifle I could afford & then add the BEST scope, allowing me the ability to shoot anywhere between 50 feet to 500 yards, preferably one with some kind of BDC reticle.
I’m not so concerned about the added weight because I’ve started with a (extremely) light rifle and the scope will add necessary weight & balance; most importantly making my rifle capable of responding at a wide range of distances particularly in low light conditions.
This would be my “best” scope, because we are now talking about important hunts, where I’m looking to take trophy animals.

The .30-06 is not only capable of handling everything you want to hunt, but also has the widest array of factory manufactured ammunition.
So, when you go to the range to shoot your new gun, bring some of that reduced recoil ammo (125 gr.) and shoot all day long.
When you go for deer and hogs shoot 150 gr. (after re-zeroing, of course) and for elk and the like shoot 165 gr. and 220 gr. if bears are on the menu.
Lastly, I attribute “X” amount of recoil to how a rifle is designed /made and certainly what grain bullet you’re shooting.
Your gun……………make your best call, and then never look back ~ Enjoy it !!!

Last edited by Sheridan; 11-20-2011 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:19 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by homers brother
I have an 8 lb .300 Weatherby. I'd be lying if I said it's a dream to shoot. On the other hand, I put 80 rounds down the tube of a 1903A3 Springfield a couple of weeks ago (steel buttplate, not the most "ergonomic" GI stock) without a hitch.

If you don't feel your .300 WM is intimidating, I see no reason why you should be concerned about the .30-06 (or the .280, or the .270). No reason except -- you keep looking at those INFERNAL recoil calculators and you're letting them sow the seeds of indecision into the problem at hand.

HB,
You're VERY right.....Recoil calculators are the Devil. The more I actually SHOOT different rifles and calibers, the more I'm learning that you can figure and calculate and guess about all kinds of things but you don't REALLY know jack until you shoot them.
Good wisdom....much appreciated.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hell, I'm still trying to figure out why you want a 5.75 pound rifle to hunt deer and hogs in Texas with.

Before I bought a less than 6 pound rifle I would take the advice of homers brother and go out and shoot something like a Sako finnlight or A7 in one of those chamberings.