HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Is an extreme want a justifiable need? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/353869-extreme-want-justifiable-need.html)

gringojosh 11-18-2011 01:57 PM

Is an extreme want a justifiable need?

I really want an AR-type rifle. I don't need one. But if you want it enough, is that enough justification to buy it?

Sheridan 11-18-2011 03:55 PM

Remember; You only go around once !

Better enjoy it while you're here................!!!

the jigger 11-19-2011 07:18 AM

Want= Need??

I hunt maybe four times a year. At 72 yrs. I can't do more.
I "need" one rifle. Currently I own 14 firearms and am in the process of building another. Does that help answer your question?
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

Nomercy448 11-19-2011 08:42 AM

We need to eat, we need to breath, and we need shelter. We WANT a nice meal, we WANT to breath the open air, and we WANT to live in a $250k home.

None of us really NEED rifles, the infrastructure is in place that we don't NEED to rely on hunting for food. But ultimately, we WANT to, and it's an alternative option to relying on industrial supply chains for our sustenence.

Personally, if I want something and I can make it happen, I buy it. But that has absolutely nothing to do with what I NEED. Yes, WANTING something can justify a purchase, but no, "extreme want" does NOT classify as a "need".

Now, there's a difference in really wanting something, and really being able to pay for it. If you comfortably have $1500 to dump on a quality AR, then go for it. If you're scraping to get by, then I suppose you know the answer to that.

Anyone else remember those commercials a few years back, the guy is standing in his front yard watering the lawn, telling about how nice his house is, and the new cars they have, and the new boat in the driveway, and how his kids are going to Ivy league colleges... And then he says "you want to know how I do it? I'm in debt up to my eyeballs"... I still get a kick out of that every time I think of it.

Jeff Ovington 11-19-2011 10:26 AM

The answer is no..
However like someone said you only live once..
Than your rotting away in a pinebox or just dust in the wind..
So hell yeah.. Purchase it..
Use it.. Enjoy it..

doubleA 11-19-2011 01:16 PM

At the end of the day you have to answer to yourself and if married your spouse too. I am always upfront with the mrs and she is likewise when money is spent. It's worked well that way for over 25 years now.

I just have to structure my spending habits to fund projects all the while making sure the family is taken care of first. Sometimes the wait is long one.

For justification purposes I tell the MRS that _______was on sale therefore I was forced to buy it.;)

quake 11-23-2011 07:17 PM

Yes, because life's short.

homers brother 11-24-2011 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Nomercy448 (Post 3878375)
...the guy is standing in his front yard watering the lawn, telling about how nice his house is, and the new cars they have, and the new boat in the driveway, and how his kids are going to Ivy league colleges... And then he says "you want to know how I do it? I'm in debt up to my eyeballs"... I still get a kick out of that every time I think of it.

+1

And most of us know at least ONE person who could say this.

salukipv1 11-24-2011 09:42 AM

Everyone needs and AR....including me!

.223 rem vs. .204 ruger is my problem...but pretty certain I want a .223rem ar15 for the coyotes...

also 18" vs. 22" barrel?

btw if you can afford it by all means then it's a need!

gringojosh 11-24-2011 09:47 AM

The Colt Accurized Rifle is what I'm looking at. Looks pretty sweet. Anyone shot one? Does the stock give good cheek weld/sight alignment?